Chapter 7

"So, want to explain why you're seeking refuge in a pack and not a clan and where the... father of those children are and why he is not with you?" Thatcher questioned me there was a pause as he asked for the father of what he presumes to be my children.

"Cubs not mine. Clan was wiped out by the elephant herd after matriarch killed their baby. I escaped with three cubs, I was babysitter." I try to explain in broken English. Its going to be difficult explain everything with me lacking many words.

"The cubs aren't yours?" the relief in his voice caused me worry they were mine now I wouldn't be leaving them I hope he accepts that.

"They are now. Mine."

"Of course, I will help you raise them if that's what you wish. You're my mate and my wolf is slowly accepting them as my pups." The smile from my face was ripping at my cheeks id never felt so warm and wanted as I did in the second, he said his wolf was accepting the cubs. "So, you are the clan the council was talking about, we heard there was a complete wipe-out of a clan due to the death of a child. I'm glad you got out along with the cubs you saved. None of you had done anything wrong but the elephants are not known for having many children and so the loss of one is greatly felt."

I nod not knowing what to say. I felt great sadness at the loss of a child and have shed many a tear due to the actions of my previous clan. I have never been able to forgive the matriarch for her actions, but I cannot hold them against her children.

"Her kids. Only allowed to reproduce. Don't blame them." I cry at him making sure I'm being completely honest but firm that they are just children and my children at that.

"I would never hold it against the children they had no part in the murder and completely innocent. There will be no harshness from myself or the pack if you decide to tell them if anyone says anything come to me and I will sort it out immediately. You are my mate, and these are my children okay? I won't let anyone think different or otherwise about you. We must however tell the council it was not a complete wipe-out there were survivors."

"Why?"

"You will be the survivor and thus the leader of that clan and can choose to mesh our clan and pack together or rule and choose to live with close proximity but not as one pack. "

"Want to be with you Thatcher."

"We can discuss that at a later date, love don't worry okay. Nothing has to change right now."

"Okay Thatcher."

"For now, let's just work on you walking and speaking." His smile was radiant as always.

"Okay."

I reach out and hold his hand looking down "Still want to be mates?" I had to make sure I would either be heartbroken or unsure unless he answered the question. "No rejection?"

"No little one of course not I wasn't ever even thinking of rejecting you. Don't think like that I've waited 6 years to find you and now that I have, you're not going anywhere okay?" he pulls me onto his lap, I snuggle into him happily. I was with my mate and my children were happy I was feeling a safety id never felt before.

This felt so right my hyena decided it was the best time to laugh right out of my mouth very, very loudly. I clasped my hands over my mouth not believing that had just happened. Thatcher glanced down at me one eyebrow cocked in question, I in turn shrugged my shoulders.

"Species habit." I try to explain.

"Of course." He laughed back. "How about I show you and the cubs around the pack lands so they know where you guys can and can't go?"