Chapter 4

Upon waking up I wasn't sure where I was, the scent of predator shifter was surrounding me. I jerked up about to grab for my cubs and run, but then everything that happened to me and my cubs yesterday with the lion pride came rushing back and I laid back down chuffing to myself and looking out of the den to the rising sun and the hazy oranges and yellows it spread across the sky. Even though I was surrounded by the scent of lion , that was one of the best sleeps I had had since the loss of the clan. I stretched out swiveling my body around feeling my bones crack and the pups cackle beneath me at my movement, all this space and they still choose to lay beneath me. Outside the den a lion roars lowly still causing my mohawk to stand on its end, but I shake that thought away as they have done nothing but be kind to my family so far.

Today I could talk to the alpha and try to find out what their plan is for us because my plan consists of just staying alive.

Once everyone was awake and moving around Akua, the original lion I met came to me and told me to follow him to the alphas' quarters. I followed to a dimly lit area of the cave and my cubs stayed with the other mothers which worried me greatly, but I was in no position to argue, they could have killed us already but had had mercy.

Sitting in front of me was a dark man with a glorious mane even in his human form. It was large and framed his face and piercing green eyes. Next to him sat the female lioness from yesterday who stated we could stay, it must be his mate. I kept my eyes downcast and stood in the same place as Akua spoke to his leader.

"So, you and your cubs are seeking refuge in a pack but as you know you cannot stay here. It would not work with hyena and lions. We believe it is safest to have you the furthest away from the elephant herd as possible. Do you agree?"

I nodded my head as I was still in hyena form.

"We know of a pack very far away that can house you and your children, however the problem is that the pack is not in this area nor this continent." He continued on after my shocked look. "We have a way we can get you there and will send you with a guide if you choose to accept, we know of a mage that has the ability to teleport willing companions. We can get you there quickly and easily without hassle. You and your cubs will be safe. We have spoken with the alpha of that pack and they said they can take you in and if you're not a good fit there, there are other options in that area."

I nod my head gratefully but was sceptical of a mage I had never met one let alone one with so much power to teleport. Mages were a rare breed of shifter that were in touch with the magic of nature. They study for years to tune their craft and so are able to cast magic.

I took the necessary seconds to shift back into my human form to inform the kind alpha pair of my decision "Thank you, I accept." I say more confidently than I feel.

"Excellent, the mage will be here before the next sunrise so be prepared. Akua will come grab you when they have arrived, we wish you all the best in your next pack." The lioness said and with that I went back to the sleeping area after collecting my cubs and waited.

Not long after a man walked in covered in runes and tattoos, he was joined by the alpha and Akua. The man greeted me and introduced himself as Ayodele. He said he would need to cast a circle and then anoint myself and the cubs. He said to not be afraid it would not hurt nor take longer than a second.

He cast the circle with ritual salt and bones before beginning to chant as he did so the tattoos on his body glowed like stars. The chanting got faster, and the wind picked up and he came over and touched the forehead of the cubs, myself and Akua. He would be accompanying us to the border of the new pack along with the mage who would then return them here.

After touching our foreheads, the mage yelled a single word and we were transported to a whole new area, a lush green forest with tall trees and no sand. We weren't anywhere near my home I could tell. The wind didn't taste of sand or heat, it was fresh and clean.