Date night.

Carter

Tonight was the night. Date night. Phoebe had taken big girl Jess over to Ellie's for a 'girls' night and I had all my fingers and toes crossed in hopes she could stay big for long enough and let me have Phoebe. I'd been yearning for this moment for so long. I really just wanted my baby to myself!!

Whilst she was out, I set up the dining area with a tablecloth, candles, rose petals and incense because I was that guy and also ordered Chinese in hopes she wouldn't be hours. I'd told her I was putting tea on anyway so she'd be conscious of the time. I'd also put fresh bed sheets on and my designer underwear because I did care. I'd showered, sprayed, put a little bit of makeup on to look fresh, moisturised and just made myself look as appealing as ever. I just really wanted to impress her.

Five minutes after she was meant to be home she texted me: 'Hey baby, when's the food going to be ready?'

I sighed and replied with a 'I'm not so sure, why?'

She told me she was stuck in traffic- of course she was- typical. Nevertheless I simply replied with an 'ok and I'll make sure to keep it warm if you aren't home in time'.

Ten minutes later, Chinese arrived. I was fed up already. She was already meant to be here. I put it in the oven at a nice temperature and went to sit on the sofa, not before texting her to ask where she was. She told me she was still a while away as there had been a car crash.

Half an hour later, I was holding back tears. I'm not sure why it was upsetting me so much. I had just planned a perfect night for my girlfriend and I and once again, it hadn't gone to plan. I thought this time, not having Jess here worrying her or entertaining her, we could have some fun but I was getting tired and I needed to work the next day! I asked her again and she told me she hadn't moved, making me even more upset.

Forty minutes later, many shed tears later and a bottle of wine later, she walked through the door. The dogs barked and yipped at her but I didn't get off the sofa. All the waiting had just taken away the whole vibe. The candles had burnt out- as well as the incense and I had no energy to burn any more.

"Carter, bubba?" I heard her sweet voice say as she came into the living room. She cupped my cheeks and leaned down to kiss the top of my head, upside down.

"You look nice," she added. I only nodded once and kept my eyes closed. "I'm sorry I'm so late, baby. The crash was kind of bad. It took them a while to clear the roads," she said. I could hear the vibrance leaving her voice but I had no effort to do anything. I was upset and mad. It wasn't her fault of course but I couldn't help but feel a little bit of resentment. She's had years to spend so much lovely time with Jess and create memories and bonds that are special to them but I can't even get one night with her?

"Have you eaten?" she said softly, running her hands through my hair. I shook my head.

"Food's in the oven," I mumbled. She walked away and I heard a little gasp. She saw the set up.

"Baby," she whined, coming back into the room. I didn't respond, I just held back tears again.

"Carter, baby." She said again. I felt her hold my hands and moved them from my face- pretty much making me look at her.

"I'm so sorry handsome," she whispered, just as sadly as I felt. I just sighed and shrugged.

"It's not your fault," I managed, quickly, before breaking down.

"No." she whimpered and pulled me close to her, wrapping her warm, long arms around me and holding me close to her. "I'm so so sorry baby." I just wrapped my arms back around her and appreciated the hug.

Phoebe.

I felt beyond awful. Absolutely horrible. Obviously, it was not my fault that the car crash happened but seeing how much effort Carter had clearly put into a date night for us, made my heart sink. He was so upset about it and judging by the empty wine bottle on the table- had been for a while. He wasn't crying anymore, just staying contently in my arms with the occasional sigh and I honestly had no idea what to do! He'd tried to be so sweet and it had all failed.

"Hey," I whispered, running my hands through his hair.

"Hm?" he replied.

"I'm really so sorry," I began.

"No- don't be. It isn't your fault and you're here now. I just had this whole fantasy in my head of swooning you over with Chinese and a cute date night then carrying you to bed and stuff," he smiled slightly and I watched his cheeks blush crimson making me smile.

"Well, it's not too late for me," I smirked. He looked at me with soft eyes and smiled slightly. "How about we forget I was ever late and the crash never happened and I pretend I didn't know about the date or the chinese and we try again. I'll try my hardest to be shocked," I giggled and kissed his temple. A smile spread on his face and he nodded.

"Okay."

"Okay, I'll go back out to the car. You do what you need to do and text me when I can come in- okay?"

"Okay," he giggled, climbing off the sofa. I went back out to the car- smiling widely. Hopefully, it goes well.

My heart skipped a beat as he met me at the door. He'd put little tuxedo collars on the dogs and had a teatowel draped over his arm making me giggle. He took my jacket off for me and led me, by linking arms with me to the dining area. The lights had been turned down low and my favourite chinese meal was set out beautifully on my plate. I smiled at him, kissed his cheek and muttered a 'thank you'. He pulled out my chair- like a true gentleman and let me sit before running off to the kitchen. He came in a few minutes later, wearing ordinary clothes.

"Is this seat taken ma'am?" he asked, politely.

"Oh no, I don't think so. Care to join me?" I smirked and pointed to the seat.

"I'd love to accompany the most beautiful girl I've ever seen," he giggled and pulled out his chair then took a seat. I smiled widely at him and took a sip of my wine. He went to take a sip off his but I pulled it away from him.

"I think you've had enough of that mister," I smirked, winking at him. He smiled widely and rolled his eyes before picking up the bottle and drinking that instead. My mouth fell open and he smirked at me.

"You may be the boss of Jess darling but you're certainly not the boss of me." I blushed and picked up my fork to eat. He smiled widely, reached over the table to hold my hand and mouthed a very simple, very elegant 'I love you'.