Chapter 6

I have people from Italy reading this! That's pretty neat! :D Marco Polo! Me and my superbly horrible jokes! xD ;;-;

I haven't updated in the longest! I'm so sorry! Happy birthday Annie! c: 3/22

~Mikasa's POV~

What's wrong with me?! I stood up for Jean and I've been yelling at him this entire time through the phone-yet I don't do anything in person! I'm, I'm so stupid. But Marco, I don't know what to do or how to feel about this. I mean he kissed me, he kissed me like he meant it and that wasn't the kiss of a friend only trying to protect one another. I thought this all as I was sleeping on the shoulder of Jean on the train to the upper eastside. The trains were surprisingly half empty, and he held my hand so gently as if he really loved me as in days of old. Another thing that really struck me was that he smothered a kiss on my cheeks as I rested on his shoulder, and then he leaned his head like a puzzle piece on my head as well.

I hate to admit it, but this was actually kind of nice. But I shouldn't feel this way: "he's hit you numerous of times after all" I told myself to remind myself that this isn't really him, Jean is a monster and always will be.

We got off and walked hand in hand up the stairs and by a few antique plate stores on 65th street. This was generally a quieter area although it of course always had people nearby. I was 30 miles away from my best friend where just no more than 30 minutes ago Jean was screaming his head off and about to start throwing fists with Marco.

"Mikasa!" Jean yelled happily and cut off my train of thought and hugged me happily.

"Huh? So-sorry honey-wha-what happened?!" I asked in a stuttering mess from fear.

"It's the diner I took you to on our first date-I still can't believe that was your first time at one ha-ha!" Jean exclaimed in total joy. I don't get it, is this another one of his tactics? Is he mad, he's behaving so, so-so normal. As if we were the way we used to be, I don't know why but all I do know is that I need to keep my guard up.

He walked me down into the dinner: it was a good 5 feet into the ground, but it was lovely. I do love the food here though, I might as well eat.

"Hello and welcome-sit anywhere and I'll be right back with your menus." The waitress beamed a genuine smile at us and gestured her arm for us to freely sit wherever we desired to.

I stood still, waiting for Jean to lead the way as his eyes scanned the place for a nice seat somewhere. He went to a window seat but sat on the other side, whereas I sat in the gloomy winter light.

"It feels as if it were yesterday." Jean smiled, with his eyes closed and he was breathing in the diner smell, reminiscing in the sweet memory. "Ha-ha, I remember having to beat you at a round of football just for you to even go on a single date with me!"

"Ha-ha, yeah I remember." I replied dryly. I waited for him to take of his side bag and coat, I was feeling pretty hot already in this warm oven of a diner.

"Hi-" The waitress flew in gracefully, placing the menus into our hands and setting down our waters. "Today's special is our new vegan avocado raw salad with kale shakes, I'll be back when you're ready to take your orders!" She smiled and attended to a few other people flooding in.

He finally took off his jacket and side bag, and I followed awkwardly. Now it was again to wait for the signal to open the menus, which he took forever to do. Even after he did, I waited to see if he'd let me.

"We should get the sandwiches with homemade fries and cole slaw."

"Great choice." I lowly complimented him and gave a small smile. I could feel my eyes beginning to tire.