Chapter 8

Dalek - Pt. 1

Lily's outfit ^

Lily's outfit ^

*****

Lily woke up to silence. 

She was still in the theatre and was sprawled out across one of the impossibly comfy recliners. She didn't bother getting up just yet. This was the calmest her surroundings had been in a long time. She was going to revel in it while she still could. 

The lighting of the room was dim, and the movie had long since been turned off by the TARDIS. 

Speaking of the TARDIS…

"I'm so proud of both of you," she sounded like a mother congratulating her kids. "To think that you stubborn mules would actually sleep after so long! And you even ate a bit! Even if it was only ice cream…"

Lily stared sleepily at the ceiling. 

That's right…

She had eaten an entire gallon of ice cream before falling asleep, hadn't she?

Was it sad that that was probably the best meal she had had in years? It probably was. No, it totally was. 

Oh well, not her problem. 

Lily shifted onto her side, taking in the sight of a sleeping Doctor across the room. He looked surprisingly peaceful. She was honestly surprised she had managed to get him to sleep at all. She had definitely expected more resistance. 

"That just goes to show how much he truly needed it," the TARDIS spoke softly, reading the red head's thoughts with ease, and Lily gave a quiet hum of agreement. 

She knew that this Doctor was still fresh out of the Time War. Everything was still healing, and it would probably be a long time before he truly got any closure. She would be there to help him along the way, of course. She would always be there for the Doctor when he needed her. Unfortunately, though, this Doctor barely knew her. He didn't trust her the same way he did in the future. 

There was only so much you could do for somebody who didn't trust you. 

"Do you always stare at people when they sleep?" Lily was broken from her thoughts by the now awake Doctor. His eyes were locked onto hers, and she couldn't help the pang she felt in her chest at the look of unfamiliarity in them. She supposed now she knew how River felt every time she wasn't recognized by someone dear to her. 

Nevertheless, she covered up any pain she might have been feeling and planted a mischievous smirk on her face. 

"Only when there's something worth staring at." Okay, not her worst attempt at flirting. It most definitely was not her best, that's for sure, but it wasn't her worst. And that's what really mattered. 

In retrospect, she really should have taken a longer look at the 'Flirting for Dummies' book she had received a few Christmases ago.

The Doctor snorted and rolled his eyes, finally sitting up from where he lay with a small smirk on his face.