Chapter 10

Dalek Pt. 3

Lily darted out of the room, wasting no time as she made her way to the nearest staircase and began going down to where she knew she would find Rose. While Rose wasn't supposed to die there, time was still in flux and could change at a moment's notice, especially with her presence there.

That thought in mind, Lily hastened, stopping only momentarily to jump over the railing where she fell multiple levels before finally catching sight of the girl she was looking for. With quick reflexes, she grabbed onto the railing next to her sister and did her best to ignore the feeling of her arm popping out of place as well as the sound of Rose and Adam shrieking in shock as she pulled herself up and onto the stairs. 

"Hello, Rose," Lily smiled calmly as though she hadn't just fallen from multiple stories above. She grabbed her sister's and Adam's hands without a moment's hesitation before dragging them right back up the stairs she had just descended. "I see that you didn't take my warning very seriously."

Despite the girl's initial shock over her sister's sudden appearance, Rose couldn't help but wince slightly as she recalled all of the people that had died so far thanks to her mistake. Lily had warned her that the Dalek was dangerous, but Rose had ignored her for the first time in ages even though she knew all too well that things normally ended poorly whenever she did so. 

"I'm sorry," Rose's lips trembled a bit. She had meant well. Truly, she did, but meaning well didn't bring all those people back to life. Who would've thought that showing a little bit of compassion would endanger so many? "Really, I am."

Lily was silent for a second as she took a brief glance over her shoulder to look at the blonde while they were running. Rose truly did look sorry. Her head was down, her shoulders were scrunched up, and tears were beginning to build up. Lily was sure that if they weren't on such a time crunch that she'd have completely closed in on herself. 

"I know," she finally stated softly, sending the younger girl a brief reassuring smile. "And while things have turned a little bit worse for wear, I am proud of you." Rose's head snapped towards Lily in surprise. "There aren't very many that would choose to be compassionate towards something that they've been warned is dangerous, especially if that something is a Dalek."

Sure, compassion could definitely be dangerous, but it also kept them human. 

It kept them kind. 

Before anything else could be said, a loud ringing resounded throughout the stairwell. 

With a labored breath, Rose pulled her ringing phone out of her pocket and answered the call.

"This isn't the best time," she breathed out as they ran, Lily finally having let go of their hands. 

"Where are you?" The Doctor's voice rang out from the other end of the phone. 

"Level forty nine!" Lily answered, having snatched the phone out of Rose's hands, causing the blonde to let out an indignant yelp. She knew all too well that Rose had a tendency to slow down a bit when on the phone. Her multitasking skills could definitely use some work. 

"Lily? What are you—" the Doctor cut himself off. "Nevermind, you've got to keep moving! The vault's being sealed off up at level forty six."

"I know," Lily said as she lagged a few steps behind the other two, trying to make sure that the other two didn't slow down. "Don't worry, we're nearly there. We both know that what you're doing was one of the only options."

"...I'm sorry," said the Doctor.

"Don't be."

It wasn't much longer until the three finally reached level forty six.