Chapter 5

World War Three- Pt 2

The Doctor plugged the phone into the conference phone speaker after Mickey spoke.

"Say again."

"It's asking for the password," Mickey's voice came in through the speaker.

"Buffalo," the Doctor told him. "Two Fs, one L."

"So, what's that website?" Lily heard her mum in the background.

"All the secret information known to mankind," Mickey started explaining with the sound of typing accompanying his voice. "See, they've known about aliens for years. They just kept us in the dark."

"Mickey, you were born in the dark," the Doctor scoffed before letting out an 'ow!' as Lily lightly slapped the back of his head.

Lily rolled her eyes, knowing that she hadn't slapped him remotely hard enough for him to actually feel any pain. "I think you've made enough fun of him for one day."

"Oh, leave him alone," Rose spoke at the same time as Lily.

"Thank you," Mickey said a bit smugly. "Password again."

"Just repeat it every time," the Doctor told him before beginning to pace. "Big Ben - why did the Slitheen go and hit Big Ben?"

The Doctor was pretty sure the answer was right in front of him. Hell, he was almost positive that Lily had tried giving them a hint earlier.

"You said to gather the experts, to kill them." Harriet spoke up, confused as to why the Doctor was suddenly changing his mind.

"That lot would've gathered for a weather balloon," the Doctor rolled his eyes. "You don't need to crash land in the middle of London."

"The Slitheen are hiding," Rose noted, looking to Lily for help, but the girl just waved for her to continue on with her thought process. "But then they put the entire planet on red alert. What would they do that for?"

"Oh, listen to her." Lily could practically hear her mum's eyes roll.

"At least I'm trying!"

"Well, I've got a question, if you don't mind," Jackie started, not really caring whether or not they minded. "Since that man walked into our lives, I have been attacked in the streets. I have had creatures from the pits of hell in my own living room, and my daughter disappear off the face of the Earth."

"I told you what happened," Rose tried.

"I'm talking to him," Jackie stated firmly. "'Cos I've seen this life of yours, Doctor, and maybe you get off on it, and maybe you think it's all clever and smart, but you tell me. Just answer me this. Are my daughters safe?"

"I'm fine."

"Are they safe?"

"Alright, mum," Lily started, moving Rose over a bit to get closer to the phone. "I'm gonna tell you right now that nobody in this entire universe is always safe." Lily shushed her mother as she tried to interrupt. "Yes, it's possible to avoid many of this world's dangers by running away or staying out of it, but I think we both know that Rose and I aren't the type of people to do that. We're the type of people that want to run towards something, and that will never change." Lily sighed, ignoring the smiles that had grown on Rose's and the Doctor's faces. "Now, I'm going to need you to stop going off at the Doctor for a moment until we get all of this settled. Understood?"

"..." Jackie was reluctant and wanted to talk back but still grumbled a word of agreement, realizing that her daughter was unfortunately correct.