Chapter 1

Aliens of London: Pt 1

"Mum, I'm sure she's fine," Lily Tyler tried to reassure her ever fretting mother, making some tea as she tried to keep the woman calm. "Maybe she's just travelling. Or maybe she went and eloped with a man."

"That's not helping."

Lily could only shrug as she handed her mum a nice, fresh, steamy cup of tea. 

Jackie Tyler had been a state of… disarray, so to say, ever since her other daughter, Rose Tyler, had disappeared almost a year ago. Lily couldn't exactly blame her either considering Rose had basically just up and disappeared with no warning. But, luckily for Lily's nerves, she knew exactly where her younger sister was. Though, she couldn't really afford to tell her mother about anything without being sent to a psychiatric ward. 

Lily knew all too well that Jackie wasn't the type to believe in the idea of her daughter going off to travel with an alien throughout time and space. At least, not without proof. And so, all Lily could do was reassure her mother that no, Rose was not dead somewhere in a ditch. And no, she hadn't been kidnapped a bunch of losers who wanted to murder or rape her. Lily had even moved back in with her mum to give her some sense of security that at least one of her daughters was safe. Granted, the older, blonde woman did tend to fret even more nowadays whenever Lily went to travel outside the country with friends, even if it was only for a few days.

"Still, worrying so much isn't doing you-" Lily paused as she heard the door to their flat slam open with a familiar voice filtering through her ears.

"I'm back!" Jackie turned to Lily in astonishment, with wide eyes full of hope as she recognized the voice of the blonde female that had made her way to the living room. "I was with Shareen! She was all upset again. Are you in? What? What's that face for? It's not the first time I've stayed out all night."

Lily could only give Rose a look of pity as their mum dropped her mug in shock. She gave it not even ten minutes before her mum got over the relief of having her daughter back and went straight to nagging.

"Is it you?" Jackie whispered in disbelief while Lily frowned, staring intensely at the shattered mug on the ground. She had the strangest feeling that she would have to be the one to clean it up.

The very thought made her sigh in disdain.

"Of course it's me," Poor Rose was so confused as her mum wrapped her up into the tightest of hugs, almost as though she was afraid she'd disappear if she let go. 

"Oh my god!" Jackie cried. "It is you! Oh my god!"

Rose locked eyes with Lily's sympathetic stare in mild confusion before she finally took notice of the stack of posters on the table, all practically saying the same thing. 

Have you seen Rose Tyler?

 The hugging mother and daughter duo didn't move from their position until the door slammed open once more causing them both to jump as a leather-clad man with a northern accent burst in. Lily, however, gave a small smile at the sight of the man she knew to be the Doctor.

"It's not twelve hours. It's, uh... twelve months." He at least had the decency to sound apologetic about it as he gave a sheepish smile. "You've been gone a whole year. Sorry."

Lily could only snort.

*****

Lily knew she probably shouldn't be feeling as amused as she was. But, hey, it wasn't everyday you got to sit and watch a 900-year-old alien, your sister, your mother, and a police officer gather together in one room to talk about previously mentioned sister's prior whereabouts. And then there was her, huddled up in the corner of the room as she watched the show go on, sipping her tea.