Chapter 2

By the time Kai, Adam, and I arrive home after work today, I'm feeling Kai knows what happened today with Mr. Peterson and Mr. Brewer, as my brother keeps smirking at me through the rearview mirror. He doesn't say a word until the three of us are sitting down at the table for dinner of chicken stir-fry an hour after we arrived home.

"So, I hear there was a confrontation this morning between you and Mr. Brewer, and Mr. Peterson stepped in," Kai grins at me with his left eyebrow quirked in suspicion.

Adam focuses his attention off of Kai while he spoke to me as he wiggles his brown eyebrows at me with a silly smirk on his lips; "So, you finally met Mr. Peterson, huh?"

"Yeah, so what's the big deal?" I shrug as I try to play off meeting the sexy man who has a powerful aura about him.

"But don't you think he's cute?" Adam pouts at me causing Kai to scoff at his boyfriend.

"He's not cute, babe," Kai grumbles, and I blush causing Adam and Kai to gawk at me in shock.

"Do you think he's cute, Kenj?" Kai asks in disbeif.

"No! He's scarry, imtimidatin, and most importantly the boss, and I'd like to keep my job," I honestly reply as we continue to eat - well semi-honestly.

"It's okay to find someone attractive, Kenji," Adam softly says with a tender smile at me.

"Not when it's the owner of the company you work for," Kai interjects before I can even reply.

"Love is love, Kai, no matter who the people are," Adam argues as he turns to face his boyfriend with a frown.

"How about we drop the subject since it's an invaild topic," I quickly say before either man could say anything more.

They drop the subject, and we talk about our plans for the weekend - Kai and Adam are going to a club tomorrow night, and Will, my best friend, and I are going to an under twenty-one club tomorrow night after grabbing some dinner at a resturant. Tomorrow before haning out with Will, I go to the laundromat to do my laundry there while Adam and Kai use the washer and dryer here at the house.

"Kenji?" Kai says snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh, sorry?" I reply snapping my attention to him with a frown.

"I asked if you are going to the laundromate tomorrow morning?" he says with worried eyes that search mine for anything wrong.

"Yeah, I'm going to leave here by 7:45 a.m., so I'm there when it opens at 8 a.m., why?" I reply with a frown of my own.

He shrugs nervously as he looks briefly at Adam, who nods at him before Kai turns his attention back to me; "We're having a home inspection done tomorrow by a caseworker at 1 p.m., and you have to be here since you live here, too."

"Why, what's going on?" I nervously ask in the last four years, I've grown weary of caseworkers, and home inspections until I turned 18-years-old. "It's not like I'm a minor anymore."

"We're having this done since Adam and I are going to foster to adopt," Kai answers nervous, like I'm going to freak out on them.

"Okay. I'll make sure I'm here before then," I reply, happy for them, so I tell them this. "Oh, I can start looking for a place of my own, so you can enjoy having your own family when it happens."

"Kenji, we're not doing this -" Adam starts saying before I wave him off with a small wave of my left hand.

"I know that, but it's time for me to do this anyway, and for the two of you to enjoy your lives without me here. This was going to happen sooner or later, and you guys can't even begin to understand how grateful I am for everything you've done for me over the years," I sincerly tell them with a smile.

"Only if you want to do this, Kenj," Kai murmurs. "We're not kicking you out."

"I know, but thanks for saying that," I smile with a nod of my head.

By noon the next day, I'm back home from the laundromat, have placed away my clean laundry, and now I'm nervously waiting for the caseworker to arrive for the home inspection.

"Kenj, calm down. Everything will be fine," Kai lightly chucles. "If anyone should be nervous, it would be Adam and I."

"Yeah, I know, I'm sorry," I mumble while taking a deep breath before slowly blowing it out.

Kai and Adam nod with encouraging smiles as there is a knock on the door, which Kai goes to answer it.

"Hello, I'm Mr. Werner, from the Department of Child Services. Are you Kai Smith or Adam Clark?" the man says after Kai greeted him.

"Yes, I'm Kai Smith," my brother greets with a warm smile as he steps aside to let the man enter the house before shutting the door behind him.

"Hello, I'm Adam Clark, and this is Kai's younger brother, Kenji Smith, and he currently lives with us," Adam warmly greets the caseworker.

"It's a pleasure to meet the three of you," Mr. Werner says with a smile as he looks around the kitchen before writing something on his clipboard. "How about we have a look around your home?"

"Sure," Kai and Adam agree as they take the man around the home, showing him all of the rooms, and answering any questions he asks them.

Twenty minutes later, the walk through is completed, they return to the kitchen where I stayed, and the four of us sit at the table for a few more questions. I nervously sit down across from Adam with Kai sitting next to him, and Mr. Werner at the end with papers spread out in front of him.

"So, as I was looking through your information you submited to become foster parents, I found information that Kai was Kenji's guardian for three years. Is this correct?" Mr. Werner asks looking between Kai and I.

"Yes, our parents kicked him out after my dad beat him for coming out as gay when he was 15-years-old," Kai honestly replies despite my embarressment.