Chapter 3

Kai and Adam's home inspection went well, and Mr. Werner called Kai this morning on our way to work (Monday) to tell them this. They have a few more steps to complete before they can officially foster to adopt, but it shouldn't take much longer to complete these.

I'm currently delivering the mail, and I'm on the third floor already, and I'm nervous. Mr. Brewer is still here as he didn't resign, but this doesn't mean I'm not worried that he'll be subtle about his comments toward me. I'm dreading being around him now more than ever.

"Here's your mail, Mr. Brewer," I murmur holding the mail out toward him with a shaky left hand.

He snatches the stack of envelopes from me with a grumble; "About damn time, you little fairy."

"Have a wonderful day, Mr. Brewer," I reply with a tiny smile before turning to walk away with the cart to deliver Mr. Peterson's mail to Kennedy.

"Hi, Miss Kennedy, here's Mr. Peterson's mail," I softly tell her as I enter her office area just outside of Mr. Peterson's office.

"Thank you, Kenji," she replies with a happy smile toward me as she takes the mail. "How was Mr. Brewer with you?"

Shrugging my shoulders as I avoid her gaze, as I really don't want to cause a problem as I need to keep my job if I want to find my own place to live.

"Kenji, I need you answer the question, and be completely honest with me, please," she gently says with a frown that I notice through my hair while I fidget under her intense stare.

"Answer the question, please, Mr. Smith," Mr. Peterson's voice says from behind me, causing me to jump in surprise.

"Um, he was a little snappish while snatching the mail from me, and called me a little fairy," I murmur as my palms begin to sweat. "His words I can handle, I promise."

When neither speak again, I nervously ask; "May I go back to the mailroom, please?"

"Yes, you may, Mr. Smith," Mr. Peterson gruffly replies, and I murmur my thanks before scrurrying away with the cart to the elevator.

I don't take a deep breath unilt I'm in the safety of the mailroom. My heart is racing, and doesn't calm until I have been in the room for about ten minutes. Going about my work, I do my tasks until noon, and I can take my lunch break. Exiting the room, I lock the door so no one can mess with anything in there, I exit the building to walk toward the cafe half a block from here.

Entering the cafe, I smile at Mandy, the server as I approach the counter to greet her, and order my normal order - a toasted tuna melt with harvest chedder sunchips, and a soda; "Hi Mandy."

"Hey Kenji," she greets back with a bright smile. "Am I ever going to convience you to let me set you up on a date with my little brother?"

Blushing to the tips of my ears, I shake my head as I nervously reply; "Sorry, but no. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I'm not ready to date."

Mandy pouts at me while she hands Carl, the cook, my order paper before looking back at me; "Boo. How abou you two meet, and possibly become friends?"

"Mandy, leave the poor boy alone," Morgan, the owner, gently scolds her as he joins her behind the counter.

Morgan is also Mandy's dad, and Carl is Mandy's older cousin.

"Fine," she whines as I walk to an empty table to sit, and wait for my lunch, which arrives five minutes later.

Eating my lunch in silence, I keep my eyes focused on my plate while I eat, so I don't notice Mr. Peterson and Kennedy enter the cafe. I don't even notice them order the food, or walk over to my table until they pull out chairs to sit down with me.

I jump and snap my head up instantly while in mid-chew with wide eyes to find them sitting down with faltering smiles at my shocked expressions.

Quickly chewing the bite, and swallow, I murmur; "Hello sir, and hello Kennedy."

"Hello Kenji," Kennedy replies with a bright smile.

Mr. Peterson is intently starring at me without speaking a word, and my anxiety starts to spike, and my skin becomes clammy. The longer he is silent, the worst my body sweats and shakes, and it's getting worse, and my breathing becomes errtic.

"Kenji, what's wrong?" Kennedy worridly asks as she stands from her seat to instantly sit down next to me.

"He's having a panic attack," Morgan tells her as he squats down in front of me after he turns me sideways in the seat, and takes my hands in his large hands.

"Kenji, take deep, slow breaths - in and out, for me, okay?" Morgan calmly instructs, and calmly looks me in the eyes. "Is Kai at work today?"

"Y-y-yes," I stutter while I try to calm my breathing, and follow Morgan's breathing.

"Who is Kai?" Mr. Peterson's gruff voice demands, and my anxiety spikes even more.

"Kai is Kenji's older brother," Mandy replies, and I can see her on her cell.

"He works on the second floor," Kennedy says to Mr. Peterson as I start having a siezure.

Nathan Peterson's P.O.V.

When Kenji started having his siezure, I become very worried. Did I bring on his anxiety induced siezure by silently starring at him? I hope not as I was trying to figure out two things about him - 1. Who Kenji reminds me of, and 2. How old is he?

I guess I really should listen to people when they tell me that when I stare silently at people, I make them nervous. I'm also told that I'm very cold, and imtimidating when I do this, and it isn't my intention to be that way, but it's how I come across, I guess. I should have spoken to Kenji instead of starring at him as it's clear that the young man is painfully shy.