2.3

The 22nd of October, 2021

Emma's POV

Another year, another homecoming. Once again, I'm standing in line on the football field but this time with my arm draped through Luke's. The two of us were voted as a set for king and queen, and I honestly hope we win because there's no one more iconic than the two of us. While I wish that Taylor could be up here with me, I wouldn't rather the person be anyone other than Luke. "These are your final pairings for Homecoming Court. Final votes should be submitted by the end of the day today so they're counted by tomorrow. I wish each pair luck through the final votes," the coordinator announces throughout the stadium. Luke escorts me off of the field and we meet up with Taylor by the edge of the stands. She's smiling widely and I can't help but think back to a year ago. A year ago, she was convincing me to stay in the running for Homecoming Court, and here I am a year later running with one of my favorite people and walking into her arms for a kiss. 

She wraps her arms around my waist and pulls me close to her body. "You look ravishing, did you know that?" she compliments, slightly breaking the kiss. I pull away and rest our heads together. I slightly nod and her eyes shine with pride. This being the first compliment I haven't rejected. She kisses me again with more force and the rush I feel through my body could never be matched. 

"Alright alright, chill out. If you've forgotten, this is a family event. I don't think many parents appreciate the show you're giving their kids," Luke interrupts while pushing us apart. Taylor just raises a brow while looking him dead in the eyes. She takes my hand and starts dragging me towards the bathrooms while I wave gingerly over my shoulder. All of this resulting in Luke rolling his eyes and heading off to find his family in the stands. 

~

The next day goes similarly to the year before when it comes to preparation. This year's theme for the dance is an enchanted forest. So, as I look over my outfit I can't help but feel it fits the scene perfectly. I'm dressed in a forest green pants suit with a black bralette underneath. The pants and overcoat have a dusting of golden glitter and I've paired the outfit with forest green flats. My hair is pulled into a perfectly messy half up half down and I'm wearing minimal make-up. Taylor is planning on wearing a deep purple pants suit with a black t-shirt under and black flats. Her hair will be thrown up into a messy ponytail and I just know she'll look beautiful. 

There's a knock at my door and I call for them to come in as I make some finishing touches to my hair. In walks, Luke in a navy blue button-up tucked into a pair of black slacks and a bow-tie. "You look great Em, maybe even better than me. Only maybe," he says while plopping down onto my bed. I laugh lightly and turn to him and leaning back on the wall. It's quiet and I'm sure both of us are thinking the same thing. "So this is the last one," he finally says confirming my suspicions.

"Mhm, gotta make it count. And I don't mean hooking up with someone, just have fun cause you'll never get this again," I lecture him before making my way to the bed and laying down next to him. He just holds out his arm and lets me cuddle into his chest. 

"Mike and I were planing on third wheeling you and Taylor. Figured we'll have more fun that way," he informs me and I nod into his chest. It's quiet again.

"I don't want this year to end, it's all going so fast. It seems like just yesterday we were the same height and running into each other at the playground, literally." He can't hold back his laughs while listing up his other arm. "Oh my god, you still have the scar!" which leaves up in stitches. We don't hear when someone else enters the room. We're only interrupted when Mike flops onto the bed with us, clad in his dark red button-up, black slacks, bow-tie, and dress shoes.