Frenemies

Without thinking about where I was going, I somehow managed to end up at my so-called enemy's house. At this point, we don't necessarily hate each other, but there's definitely a rivalry of sorts between us.

I rang the bell, trying to ignore the rain that had started during my getaway. A few moments later, the door opened. Thankfully, it was Chase who answered.

We made eye contact, and he seemed slightly annoyed before his look changed to confusion and possibly pity. "What are you doing here?" were his first words, and I can't blame him. Imagine your rival randomly showing up at your doorstep without warning while it's pouring rain.

"I-uh, I didn't know where else to go," I spoke in a quiet voice, embarrassed by the situation.

He sighed. "Come in." I walked into the enclosed porch and heard the door shut behind me. "So what brings you here, Bel?" He leaned his back against the wall and crossed his arms over his chest.

My feet is what I would have said if I wasn't so down in the dumps right now.

"I just don't want to be home at the moment." My eyes mostly stayed on the floor as I was still feeling very shy.

"And you came here..."

"I guess I didn't want to be alone," I admitted. "I'm being stupid. I shouldn't have come. I'll just go-" I took a step towards the door.

"Bel, it's fine. You don't have to go anywhere. You wanna talk about it?"

"Um," I hesitated, not knowing if I should tell Chase of all people. What if he uses it against me somehow? "My brother came home from college to visit me and my other siblings. Unfortunately for him, my parents are home."

"They don't get along?"

"They have different views on certain matters," I said vaguely.

"How specific," he responded sarcastically.

Sighing, I gave more detail, "Well, things changed since he came out to them. That's when we found out that our parents are apparently homophobic. They didn't kick him out of the house, but the three of them don't really talk anymore. He definitely made the right choice of going away for college.

"Him visiting never really caused a commotion. He came to see me and my siblings, and my parents were okay with that. They ignored him, and he ignored them. But this time, he brought his boyfriend with him because he's been wanting to meet us in person. And that caused an argument.

"I don't know how he deals with them. I know I couldn't hear them talk to me like that. Maybe I should've stayed to defend him or something. But I can't listen to the things they tell him. It hurts." I let out a humorless laugh. "I guess he's stronger than I could ever be."

"Why would what they say to your brother hurt you?" I'm not sure if he didn't want to assume things or if he's just an idiot.

"I-" I took a deep breath. "I'm bisexual," I admitted so quietly, I was afraid he hadn't heard, and I would have to repeat myself.

The way he just stared in silence, assured me that he did hear what I said.

Before he could reply, I mentioned, "No one- I haven't told anyone that."

"Not even your brother?" He came back to reality.

I shook my head.

"Why not?" There was a brief pause. "If you don't mind me asking."

"I don't know," even though I did know. "It was something I didn't want to say over the phone. But whenever he would come to visit, there would always be other things going on." I shrugged. "I want to tell him, I think. It just never seems like a good time."