Chapter 21

Michael and Julia emerged from their chamber in the late afternoon. Even then, convincing Michael to leave their bed had been a challenge for Julia. She'd had to make all manner of promises, just thinking about those made her blush. But the truth was that she had been equally reluctant to leave her husband's rooms. Pleasure could wait, she told herself. It was time to face the music. Her had tightened on Michael's when they got down the stairs.

"It will be alright," he murmured. "We shall just have to be as honest as possible and I'm sure they would understand. We are amongst family."

Julia nodded and straightened her back.

When they entered the main parlor, Michael's mother, his sister and her grandfather were seated and-laughing?

Poppy was smiling but Julia immediately sensed her sadness. But Fred and Lady Adlington were chatting away, barely paying them any heed when they entered. Michael cleared his throat. They turned towards them.

"Oh hullo dears," his mother greeted him and Julia.

"I take it you're married?" This from Fred.

Julia nodded mechanically, unsure of what was taking place.

"Finally," Michael's mother tsked. Julia blinked...Poppy was at her side now. She took her to the other side of the room.

"Are you alright?" she asked, but Julia could tell that her friend had a thousand more questions.

"I am well," she nodded and squeezed Poppy's hand. "And it's not what you think-with Lord Langdon."

Poppy's demeanor shuttered immediately. "I haven't thought about him, Julia. I was only concerned about your safety. Even I must admit that what you did was incredibly foolish!"

"I see that now. But somehow it has seemed to work out," Julia murmured, casting a glance at her new husband. Poppy's face split into a reluctant smile.

"I suppose it has. I never imagined that you and my overbearing brother would marry but nothing could have made me happier," she said and dropped a quick kiss on her on her cheek.

"I am happy. But I must tell you what happened...you cannot misunderstand Lord Langdon's intentions!"

"All I know is that he flirted with me shamelessly for days and then took off to Greta Green with my dearest friend," Poppy muttered angrily. But Julia saw the hurt in her eyes, it squeezed her heart. To think that her thoughtlessness had resulted in her friend feeling this way frustrated her to no end. She opened her mouth to explain further but her grandfather called out for her.

"We will discuss this later," she told Poppy firmly before going to Fred.

"Are you well?" Fred asked her, his eyes brimming with emotion. Julia bit her lip to keep from crying. Seeing Fred reminded her of the magnitude of what she'd done. And she'd married-without anyone from her family to witness her nuptials. She nodded, trying to smile but a sob escaped her.

"Oh my dear girl," Fred stood and enfolded her in a warm hug.

"I'm sorry," she choked out. Wriggling a little from Fred's embrace to find Lady Adlington looking at them with a concerned expression. "I'm so sorry, my lady. You treated me so well and I repaid you like this. You must know that Michael was never at fault, he married me primarily to save my reputation."

"Julia," Lady Adlington chuckled, "your grandfather and I have been hoping for this union from the start dear." Julia and Michael's mouths dropped open.

"We just thought that you'd suit!" her mother-in-law said defensively. Julia had nothing to say. "And as for Michael marrying you just to save your reputation--that cannot possibly be true. We all saw the way he carried you up this morning."