Chapter 7

One month after Julia had begun to develop an unsavoury reputation for herself, she found herself and Poppy packed into a carriage headed to Kent.

The Duke had managed to manipulate them into going. Even Fred had sided with him, saying that he missed his estate.

Julia was furious, Poppy more so.

When Poppy had railed at her brother, he'd said that the stench across the Thames was horrible and that some country air would do them all good.

Julia stared at the green landscape through the window morosely.

Oh she'd had enough. She was tired of the deception. She just wanted to go home and make sure that her parents were alright in Bombay. But that damned, interfering Duke had botched all her plans.

Poppy had warned her as to what would take place here in Kent. She'd heard talks of a house party and she was almost certain that the Duke planned to marry Julia off to one of the gentlemen attending. She had no doubt that they were all decent, boring men who were either interested in her dowry or too scared to gainsay Michael.

"I feel wretched, I'm so sorry," Poppy groaned suddenly, drawing Julia's attention.

"I fail to see why you think yourself responsible for any of this," Julia said.

"Oh I should've thought of a better plan or I should've—"

"Poppy, you are being ridiculous. You did what you could."

"Yes, but you're here in England when you should be with your family. Maybe if we told Michael the reasons for your need to leave, he would understand. He's not so unreasonable as that," Poppy said.

"No. I know he's your brother but he's precisely that unreasonable. He has tried to ruin everything from the start. Although his intentions are on the right side, I've never had the displeasure of meeting such an autocratic and arrogant boor," Julia said with a huff.

"My my, you do not like my brother very much, do you?" Poppy asked, wry amusement entering her tone.

Julia shrugged.

"Have you received any other letter?" Poppy queried.

Julia shook her head, worry tightening the corners of her mouth.

"Don't worry, my dear. We will get you out of this mess. Won't we, Padma?" Poppy smiled at the sleepy maid next to Julia.

"Yes," she nodded, her eyes snapping open.

Julia grinned. Although there was no immediate solution to her issue and there was the ever present metaphorical sword of dread hanging above her head, having Poppy and Padma by her side helped tremendously.

"Let the Duke throw whatever he wants at me. I'll show him what I'm capable of," Julia said, her face set as if preparing for a battle.

"That is what I like to hear," Poppy laughed gleefully.

********************

Julia had barely settled in Kent when the house party began.

It had been decided that she would continue to reside in her grandfather's estate as it was neighbouring to the Duke's and attend the various events by travelling to and fro.

On the day before the house party began, Julia was summoned to the Duke's study.

"Good morning, your grace. You asked for me?" she asked calmly although her heart was racing. Who knew what scheme this Duke would come up with this time to make her life harder?

He looked up from his desk but didn't bother standing up—a show of blatant disrespect. Julia clenched her jaw, wondering why this was bothering her now. She'd thought these very same rules ridiculous when she'd arrived in England.

"Come and sit," he ordered.

"I'm sorry, but I expect some respect from you, my grace," Julia said stiffly, not moving.

"On what grounds, my dear?" he asked casually, looking faintly amused.

"On what grounds?!" she repeated, appalled. "For one, I am a woman and you—"

"If you're implying that I don't respect women in general, I assure you that I do. But I can hardly respect you only because you're a woman, can I?"

"I have done nothing to be treated differently from other women," she scowled.

"Haven't you, Miss Andrews? Think again," he replied, his amber eyes two slits as he bent forward on his desk and stared at her. All pretences of amusement disappeared from his face. Anger was all that was left.

"Just because a man enjoys the company of the fairer sex, he is not condemned by society, is he? On the contrary, he is lauded for his behaviour. And when I do the same thing—actually it is hardly the same thing—I am undeserving of the respect reserved for all women?" Julia asked, equally angry.

He was sitting back again. He'd adopted an uncaring expression again, his face passive except for his mouth which was tipped up at one end.

"I agree with your assessment. A man is indeed lauded for the very same things. And as unfair as it is, it is the way of the world, my dear Miss Andrews. Maybe in the future, there will come a day that women will be given the same opportunities as men. But for now, in our world, the idea seems almost far fetched. So I must advice you to get used to this lack of respect if you continue to walk the path you're currently bent on exploring."

"Of all the arrogant and preposterous things to say—"

"Save your breath. After all, I only have your best interests at heart," he cut her off again.

Julia stood ramrod straight, her hands folded across her chest while the muscle in her jaw ticked continuously.

She looked beautiful even in a rage, he thought dispassionately.

Michael was sure she had a few choice things to say to him but she was holding herself back for some reason. He wanted to push her as much as he could so she'd say something in her frustration. But she was remarkably composed given the circumstances. Poppy would have had his head on a pike by now had he subjected her to the same words.

It went against his upbringing and not to mention, his conscience to treat her this way but he had no other way of making her understand the consequences of being so free with the gentlemen. He might have exaggerated a bit but this was quite close to the truth. As such he'd had a damned hard time finding eligible men who were willing to marry Julia. They'd all complained about her 'lose character' and that had thrown Michael in such a rage that he'd scared all the men.

He knew without a shadow of doubt that she wasn't lose. In fact, she had a strong and remarkable character. He'd seen evidence of it. Despite seeing her lack of discretion for the last month, he was determined to remember only their first meeting. Hell this same woman had blushed at the mention of his fondness for opera singers. He couldn't comprehend what changed in less than a week.

Michael recalled her presence again when she spoke, her voice cool. "If you are finished with your lecture, I would be honoured to know why you deigned to ask for me."

"Ah yes. Good of you to remind me. The house guests will begin to arrive tomorrow morning. And I require you to be on your best behaviour."

"You can count on it, your grace," Julia smiled sweetly.

Michael knew he was in trouble then.