Chapter 8

That evening.

"For the last time, Adlington, I do not know what Julia is upto!" Fredrick groaned and leaned back against his arm chair, defeated.

"Let us see how you'd put it...ah yes, she has an intelligent head attached to her body," Michael scowled at Howard.

"Oh but she does!"

"If so, I have yet to see any evidence of it," he growled.

"I'm sure she has a perfectly reasonable excuse to behave this way," Fredrick murmured thoughtfully.

"Is there something? Did she say why?" Michael paused from pacing and stared at the older man seated across him.

"No, she hasn't."

Michael sighed. "Have you asked?"

"Of course I have! I think she wanted to tell me but something held her back," Fred shrugged regretfully.

"We need to do something!" Michael muttered and resumed his pacing.

"I thought you were about to find her a husband in this house party..."

"I'm damned well going to try," Michael said. "She doesn't let any respectable man retain a good reputation of her."

"I'm grateful Diana hasn't heard of any of this yet. She's already under a lot of stress," Fred sighed.

"What kind of stress?"

"I think there is some political trouble brewing there. She has assured me that they are fine but I still worry."

"If there is any danger, it would be prudent to bring them back here," Michael suggested. He didn't want to interfere but anything that bothered Fred bothered the Wesleys.

"I have written to her. Let us wait until we hear from her again," Fredrick smiled slightly.

Michael nodded his agreement.

Did Julia know about any of this? Surely she wouldn't behave in such a fashion if she knew that her parents were in trouble? Maybe he should tell her...

No. That was Fred, Lady Diana and her husband's decision to take.

*********************

Michael scanned the crowd before him. It was the third day of the house party and the guests had gathered for dancing. So far, Julia had stayed out of trouble but he hadn't seen her in the last hour and was beginning to worry.

Something told him that the little Miss Andrews was upto no good. Seeing his sister Poppy alone with their group only confirmed his suspicions. Julia and Poppy rarely left each other's sides.

He strode around the dance floor purposefully. No signs of her.

"Mother, have you seen Miss Andrews?" he asked, pulling her to the side.

"No. Is something amiss?" she whispered, her brows drawn together.

"I hope there isn't," Michael muttered. "But I haven't seen her in quite some time."

"Oh I'm sure she must just be mingling," his mother consoled.

"It's alright as long as she doesn't mingle too much."

With that, he deserted his mother with her friends and resumed his search for Julia.

He spotted Grayson, their butler and beckoned him.

"Your grace?"

"Have you seen Miss Andrews about?"

"Yes, your grace. She was being accompanied by Lord Patrick to the gardens just now."