Chapter 19

Michael awoke from his slumber, his hand automatically reaching for the woman lying next to him.

Except, there was no woman.

He snapped open his eyes and saw the rumpled sheets...at least he hadn't dreamt up the entire thing.

"Julia," he called out, hoping she'd emerge from somewhere. But she wasn't there and Michael felt pain explode in his chest. It wasn't pleasant, this feeling.

He didn't know why but he wasn't surprised. There had been a desperation to her when she'd been in his arms.

But that didn't make her disappearance any less painful. For the first time in his life, he'd fallen for a woman. For the first time he'd actually considered trusting someone with everything he had. And this is how she reciprocated.

The saving grace was that he hadn't told her of his feelings.

Michael got up from the bed with a sigh. He still had to find her. And marry her. He supposed it wouldn't be the kind of marriage he'd thought he'd have with her but it had to be done.

No matter what secrets Julia was guarding, Michael had ruined her and he would fulfil his duty.

Only it hadn't felt like a duty earlier.

Once he threatened the inn keeper's wife, she told him what route Julia had taken. She said she was going to London, which confused him.

Had she met Adlington? Had they made some change in their plans?

The thought brought Michael's tightly leashed anger to the surface again. The woman seemed scared and wary but Michael was too far gone to care. He demanded a horse from her and set off.

After riding for almost an hour, Michael spotted a coach in the distance. It halted before his eyes and a woman jumped out. Another man jumped out after her. From where he was, it looked like they were arguing. But Michael decided to investigate because something about the woman's stubborn stance was very familiar.

"I do not have any more money to pay you," he heard Julia's frustrated voice. His heart raced when she came into view. He jumped from the horse even before it stopped.

"I have no choice but to drag you to the magistrate then," the man growled.

"You will not lay a finger on her," Michael growled back. Both Julia and the man turned to look at them. Julia's face immediately split into a smile and she rushed to him. The other man did not seem as pleased though.

"Michael, be a dear and pay off this man will you? I will repay you as soon as get home."

Home? ha.

He chose to remain silent and threw a few coins at the coachman. The man bowed and rode away. Michael turned to look at Julia then.

"What happened?" he snapped.

"I ran away. Again," she whispered. Michael wanted to ask why.

"Am I that repulsive?" he asked instead.

"Michael, no! You misunderstand. The coachman was asking for payment because I decided to get off...I could have only pay him when I got to London."

He was silent, willing her to continue. In truth, he was very confused. And angry. She shook her head as if she was the idiot.

"I wanted to come back to you," she said, swallowing.

"Why did you even run in the first place, damnit?" he yelled and began pacing the narrow road.

"I was desperate," she said. "I know you have a lot of questions, Michael. And I will answer all of them."

"You were tightlipped before. What changed?" he asked harshly. he didn't know if he could trust anything she said—

"Because I realised I loved you," she said with a tiny smile. Michael whipped around to face her. "It's true...I do love you. It messed up my plans."

Michael blinked. He stood frozen for a few seconds before rushing to stand before her. "Are you sure? This isn't just another one of your games?" he asked, holding her to him.

"I'm sure," she nodded, smiling widely.

"Then you should know that I love you too," he said gruffly.

"I know," she laughed and leaned up to kiss his lips. "It was why I decided to come back. It is why I decided to trust you," she whispered.

Michael wanted to celebrate this moment, but he had other things on his mind.

"Are you in some kind of trouble, Julia?" he asked solemnly.

"I am not...but my parents are," she replied, her eyes turning sad. Michael listened as she explained everything.

Her imbecilic behaviour, her plan to ruin herself—he'd wanted to strangle his sister when he'd heard that one. And while he still thought her actions extremely stupid, he understood. It was evident that she was in foreign territory and the only person she'd been able to rely on was his harebrained sister.

He also felt that her grandfather should've handled this better. Without any conscious effort, a plan began to unfold in his mind even as he continued listening to Julia.

"I am so very sorry, Michael. I hope you will forgive me. I do not know if what I did was right or wrong, I did the only thing a girl in my position could do..."

He nodded and pulled her to him. He didn't blame Julia. He'd done things way more foolish than her when he'd been her age. Hell, he would've gone mad if it would have been his parents going through this. He knew that her heart was in the right place...he'd always known.

"You do not have to apologise, Julia. Did you mean it when you said you trusted me?" he asked, kissing her forehead.

"Yes."

"Very well. We must marry very soon to preserve your reputation," he said.

She nodded, understanding.

Michael smiled, feeling at peace. He knew he would set everything straight.