Chapter 1: The Magnorolian

N/A

This book is copyrighted! Any use or plagiarism of this book will not be tolerated and immediately taken down.  For new chapters, you can find them updated on Webnovel for you to purchase if you want to support me. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, First Day

5:00 am

Nia opens her eyes and is immediately greeted by darkness. It's still quite early as she steps outside and looks up at the fading stars. It's almost time for her to leave for the Human world. She crosses her arms over her chest. The thin fabric of her dress billows as an early morning breeze comes in, making her shiver. Nia wonders if she'll return to Mother Tree or if she'll decide to remain among the Humans. She turns to head back inside an all-too-familiar voice floats up to her ears, making them twitch.

"Hey Nia," says the velvety voice she knows so well.

She turns, with a smile, and looks upon the face of her best friend, Mikhale. He smiles back and embraces her.

"Are you leaving around sunrise?" he asks as they separate.

Nia looks at her feet and nods. Mikhale hooks a finger under her chin and lifts her face so he can see her eyes.

"What's wrong? Are you having second thoughts?"

The young Magnorolian shakes her head and sighs.

"No. I'm just worried I'll decide not to come back. I love Mother Tree, but-" she trails off.

"But, what?" he asks, concerned, but curious.

"The rules here are strict when it comes to mates. I want to love whomever I so choose. I don't want to be shunned for choosing someone who is neither Human nor Magnorolian," Nia explains as she looks toward the wheat fields.

The sun has begun to rise and is casting a golden hue over them.

"I have to finish packing for the journey. I'm going to miss you Mikhale," she says with tears in all four of her eyes.

"You have always been there when I needed you most."

"You don't know you won't come back Nia," Mikhale assures as he rubs her shoulders.

"Besides, I'll always be around when you need me."

She looks at him with her head tilted to the side, confusion written on her pale face.

"What do you mean?" she asks.

A knowing look passes over Nia's face when she sees the large grin plastered on his relaxed features.

"You're coming with me, aren't you?"

Mikhale nods vigorously, still grinning and Nia mirrors it.

"Yup! I finished packing hours ago. Don't worry. I packed a little something extra just for you," he says with a wink.

Nia shakes her head as her smile widens.

"You know me so well, Mik. What would I do without you?" she asks as she tucks a stray strand of snow-white hair behind her drooped, pointed ear.

"You'd probably die," he says with a shrug and chuckles when Nia playfully shoves him with two of her arms.

"Shut up."

"So," he starts after he rights himself.

"Have you decided what you're going to do for Blooming Day? You'll need somewhere safe to stay for three days," he says as they walk back towards her home.

"We'll figure it out when the time comes," she says as they stop outside her family's modest home.

"Besides, I'll have you there with me. I know I'm safe with you."

"Go finish packing. I'll be back in an hour," Mikhale says with a soft smile.

He bows his head with his hands clasped behind his back and turns on his heel to head back home. Nia watches as Mikhale walks away, then heads inside to prepare for the road ahead. She watches the horizon as she pulls her pack over her shoulder and turns to her family for one final goodbye. Her mother's face wrinkles as she smiles and pulls Nia into a tight hug. Tears fill her eyes as she turns to face her father.

His large, blue eyes are kind as he looks upon his only child's face. Their eyes say all they need to as they look at each other. Nia wipes her father's tears from his cheeks with her thumbs and leans forward, placing her forehead against his. She walks to the flap that covers the entrance to their home and looks at her parent's faces one last time. Nia smiles as a tear slides down her chin.

I love you Ma and Pa.

She pulls the leafy flap away from the frame and walks out. Wiping the tears from her face with the back of her hand, she smiles at Mikhale.

"Hey Nia," he says softly as he wipes a stray tear from her cheek.

"I'm glad you're coming with me Mik. I don't think I'd be able to go through with this otherwise," she says as they begin to walk.

"You're stronger than you think you are Nia. I know for a fact that you'd have gone anyway," he says, giving her a warm smile.

Nia looks up at the clear blue sky. Spring is upon them. She can smell it in the air. It's the time of rebirth and replanting.

"The harvest this year will be plentiful," she says softly as she watches the villagers hard at work making new baskets and tapestries while the children run and play, screaming with joy.

She feels Mikhale's hand on her shoulder and turns her head to look at him as he gives her a small smile. She turns back to face the archway at the end of the village. Once they pass it, they will be in new and unknown territory. Stopping just in front of it, she lays her hand on its beautifully carved branches. She traces over each intricate flower and leaf with the tip of her finger as she recalls her life in Mother Tree. It brings tears of happiness to her eyes.

Nia looks up at Mikhale with a smile and he squeezes her hand.

"I know, but this is what you've wanted since we were kids. I could always see it in your eyes every year when it came time for the Journey," he says as he steps through the threshold and reaches his hand out for her to take.

"You're right. I know you're right. I have wanted this for as long as I can remember. I've wanted adventure beyond Mother Tree, but I'm terrified of what we'll find out there," she explains while she looks at the trees that surround the outside world.

Nia looks at his hand and smiles wide as she slowly takes it, brushing her fear away. Mikhale grins, pulling her through the archway and into his arms.

"Okay. Enough of that. Let's go," he says as he playfully pushes her away and treks on ahead with a chuckle.

"Remember, if we follow the trail, we'll be there in a week's time."

Nia chuckles and hurries to catch up. She hopes the weather holds out as she looks at the thick clouds rolling in above them. Looking back one last time, she walks past the trees and out of view of the village and her home. Her adventure has begun and she smiles to herself before turning to follow Mikhale on the trail.