Chapter 19: Meeting With Samone

N/A

This book is copyrighted! Any use or plagiarism of this book will not be tolerated and immediately taken down. For new chapters, you can find them updated on Webnovel for you to purchase if you want to support me. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, Nemtu

10:45 pm

"I'm saying that...I'm in love with you... I have been for so long," Aiden states, and Amelia's breath hitches.

"I fell in love with you during our project. I just...didn't know how to tell you."

His face flushes slightly purple. Amelia smiles and chuckles at his blushing face.

"I love you too, Aiden... That's what I was going to tell you last night."

"Really?" he asks, astounded that she felt the same.

Amelia sets her hand between them, palm up. Aiden takes it and smiles at how her hand feels in his. Her skin is softer than he remembers as he rubs his thumb over the back of her hand.

The young male Nannomi looks into her face and leans forward slowly. She meets him halfway and kisses his lips softly. Aiden's hand cups Amelia's cheek gingerly and she sighs under his touch. Her lips part and he kisses the swell of her bottom lip. They move closer together and she grasps at the nape of his neck.

A blinking light and a trilling from Amelia's desk gives them a start. She stands from the bed and goes over to grab her tablet. The glass flashes and chimes louder as she approaches. The name written on the screen makes her snatch it up and rush back to Aiden. She swipes the screen and the video call goes live.

"Ms. Sventz," Amelia greets.

"Hello, Amelia... Aiden... I'm sorry for calling so late, but there's been a change of plans," Samone says, looking bored.

"Change of plans?" Aiden asks with his brows knit.

"Yes, I've become too busy to come to you. You both will have to meet me in Cairo," she states quickly.

"Cairo? We'll be discovered by the human populace in broad daylight," Amelia says worriedly.

"You'll be meeting me tonight," Samone says pragmatically.

"Tonight? You must understand, we can't leave tonight. Things happened today... We're needed by our people," Amelia states, thinking about her still unaccounted-for father.

"I'm truly sorry, but it has to be tonight. I'll be unavailable for a meeting for the next six months after tonight. If you want to get this done, then you'll meet me in Cairo tonight," Samone says with sad and understanding eyes.

"Okay... We'll meet you in Cairo in a few hours," Amelia concedes as she rubs her shoulder, now filled with even more tension.

"Good. I'll see you then," Samone says before ending the call.

Amelia pinches the bridge of her nose and closes her eyes with a heavy sigh.

"Don't worry Amelia... We'll get back before you know it and we can go looking for your dad," Aiden says softly as he rubs her back.

"Yeah," she says quietly.

"You're right... We'll be back by sunrise and we can go look for Dad."

Aiden smiles at her and she returns it, but smaller. He leaves to get ready and she rummages through her things to find clothes that cover most of her body. They have a last resort option if they don't make it out of Cairo before sun up. Amelia pulls on a thin tee and a jacket before a pair of jeans and boots, then scoops up her tablet and bag.

She grabs a hat and a large, thin scarf to wrap around her face with gloves covering her hands. With quick steps, Amelia hurries to their work tent to meet with Aiden. They gather everything they need to give to Samone and her associates so they can maintain the algorithm with as little contact as possible. Giving away all of their hard work is something Amelia never wanted to do, but she's grateful now. She has to concentrate on finding her father and helping her people recover from this horrible accident above all else.

The young Nannomi couple looks at each other as they finish packing everything up. Aiden gives Amelia a small smile and they hurry out of the tent. He goes up to a mound of sand and pulls on the burlap cover, exposing a dune buggy. The two hop in and drive away from Nemtu. Several minutes later they park the dune buggy and cover it with another burlap tarp before walking to the nearest camel stall to rent one.

Along the way to Cairo, Amelia dozes off on the camel. When they get close enough to see lights and buildings as well as spread-out tents, Aiden nudges her awake.

"Hey... We're here."

She blinks a couple of times and rubs the sleep from her eyes. The torches near a group of tents burn her eyes, so she squints. The camel lies down and Aiden hops off before outstretching his hand to Amelia.

Once she is down, they thank their guide and walk into the city. On their way, the sun starts to peak out over the horizon, so they stop in a dark alley.

"Ready?" Aiden asks as he rolls his sleeve up and hovers two fingers over his forearm.

Amelia nods after removing one of her gloves and pulling up the sleeve of her jacket and places her fingers on her own arm. They slide their fingers up to just below their elbows and around in an arc, leaving a glowing trail. Looking at each other, they watch as their appearances shift.

Their once grey skin turns a caramel brown and their hair black as Amelia's eyes shift to a deep honey brown along with Aiden's. Amelia removes the scarf from her face and the other glove from her hand before they set out on their quest to find Samone. Her tablet lights up and chimes lightly from her bag. She fishes it out to find an address for their meeting, an abandoned warehouse.

Of course.

Though this doesn't settle well with Amelia, they continue on their way.

Amelia peeks at Aiden's watch, hating that it took longer to get to Cairo than she'd originally thought. Finding the address isn't difficult and they soon find themselves in an area that appears abandoned. With a heavy sigh, she walks up to the door and knocks. It cracks open for a moment before opening all the way. The dim light in the center of the enormous building doesn't make it easier for them to see past entry.

Swiping two fingers beside her eye and making a half circle around her orbital bone, on both sides, fixes that quickly. Amelia's eyesight sharpens as she walks in further, noticing that all of the windows are either boarded up or covered with newspaper and tape. Aiden, having done the same, looks over at her with worry in his eyes. The young woman fixes her gaze where the dim light is shining to find Samone standing with two other people. Listening to the footfalls behind them, she knows that there is another person following closely.

This can't possibly end well.