Chapter 11: The Dream

N/A

This book is copyrighted! Any use or plagiarism of this book will not be tolerated and immediately taken down. For new chapters, you can find them updated on Webnovel for you to purchase if you want to support me. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, Samone's Castle

7:00 pm

Jace steps out of the room as he buckles his belt. He looks around before hearing the door behind him open. Maivis stumbles slightly, but quickly composes herself.

"You should be resting after that," Jace says with a smirk.

Maivis only raises her brow as she straightens her skirt.

"I have work to do. I'll rest later."

He chuckles and starts to pull on his jacket.

Maivis walks past him and down the stairs. Jace watches her hips sway thinking of the curves his hands only skimmed over in his haste.

"Damn," he curses himself for not taking his time with her and sighs.

He takes the steps down to the foyer quickly and heads out the front door to the cab Franklin had so graciously called for him. Paying the cabbie ahead of time, he tells the man to take him back into the city. Jace pulls the envelope out of the liner pocket in his jacket and peeks inside. There is only a small piece of paper inside, so he decides to hold off for now. The envelope crinkles slightly as he stuffs it back inside the pocket and lets his eyes take in the scenery around him until they hit the city.

10:30 pm

New York Apartments

Jace toes open the door to his apartment and flips the lone switch next to the fridge. The dim light flickers as he locks the door and drops his keys on the counter. His fingers lock around a glass and the neck of a bottle of bourbon that sits next to the empty sink. The stool at the island creaks under his weight and an exhausted sigh slips past his lips. Pouring a small amount of the amber liquid into the glass is his nightly routine before relaxing or getting down to the important task at hand.

Lightly sipping the smoky whiskey, Jace pulls the bent envelope from his pocket once more along with the address card. He opens the envelope and dumps the paper in front of him with the card. The two sentences written on the small piece of paper were vague, yet explained everything he needed to know.

Collect the vessel known as 'Nano' from the outskirts of the Sahara Desert. The crate is for your and its safety.

Upon closer inspection of the paper, Jace notices a small footnote.

This is a very important piece of machinery for biomechanics. Bring it to the specified address in its current condition. No exceptions.

Jace furrows his brows and looks at the drop-off address.

121 Washington Pass, Arizona

"Hmm... Arizona... Wonder if they have any decent bars," he murmurs absentmindedly.

He stands up from the creaky stool with the bourbon clasped between his fingertips and walks to his bedroom. A soft crack hits the silent room as he sets the glass on his nightstand. Jace pulls his shirt over his head, discarding it in the bathroom hamper. The muscles in his back ripple and flex as he tries to stretch the stress from his neck and shoulders, rubbing them and sighing. His boots thud on the floor dully after he kicks them off and walks into the bathroom.

Jace's body is hot as he walks into the shower, so he takes a cold one. Steam rises from his body where the chilled water hits. After a few minutes, he walks out with a towel in hand, rubbing his jet-black hair dry. His body glistens with leftover water on his shoulders, chest, and legs sprouting from a pair of boxer briefs. Thick and nimble fingers grasp the glass on his nightstand, bringing it to his plump lips as he tosses the towel in the hamper.

Jace pulls on a pair of sweatpants and sits on the edge of his bed where he finishes off the bourbon. The glass slides slowly across the wooden surface of the nightstand and the exhausted man slips under the sheets with Maivis' body on his mind. With a flick of his wrist and two fingers, the light in the room goes out and Jace's dark, almond-shaped eyes stare at the ceiling for about ten minutes before they grow too heavy for him to remain awake and alert. Slowly the room around him slips away as sleep overtakes his body. A frown soon takes over his face.

12:15 am

Jace walks through a field of golden wheat as a warm breeze blows through his hair. He stretches his hand out and lets the wheat gently graze his palm. Feet step lightly through the rows and he closes his eyes, taking a deep breath with a smile spreading over his lips. The air is filled with the smell of sweet berries and the sound of soft laughter from afar. Jace's eyes slowly open and he sees the back of a woman walking ahead of him.

His brows knit in curiosity as he stares at her back and begins to pick up his pace. Her white dress flutters in the wind, her pace quickening with his, keeping him far behind. Jace breaks out in a run, but can't seem to catch up with the intriguing woman. He calls out to her as he runs faster.

"Hey! Who are you?"

She doesn't answer him or acknowledge the fact he'd spoken.

The confused man moves even faster, tapping into some of his abilities. It starts to look like he's getting closer and Jace reaches out to her as she turns to look at him. He stops, dead, in his tracks, and stares at her in shock. Jace could no longer tell what he was looking at and fear grips him making him take a step back. A withered, clawed hand reaches out to grasp his wrist and pull him close.

The golden wheat around them decays and turns to ash on barren grounds. The sky becomes gray and the wind is bitingly cold. The air no longer smells of sweet berries, but of burning flesh.

"Why Jace?" asks the woman in a rough and raspy voice, almost inhuman.

"Why did you kill everyone?"

Jace looks over the gray woman's shoulder and sees a burning, ash-covered village.

"They welcomed you and you burned everything to the ground," says the woman as he looks into her blackened eyes seeing flames engulf screaming faces.

He closes his eyes tight as he flinches from the heat of the flames licking at his face. It threatens to envelop his body as he thrashes under her firm grip.

Jace's eyes fly open as he falls onto the cold, hardwood floor of his room. He sits there tangled in his bed sheets trying to catch his breath. Plumes of smoke flow from his lips as his body shakes. Trying to get a hold of himself, he digs his claws into the floor and shreds the sheets. Jace brings his knees to his chest and rocks himself back and forth. He closes his eyes resting his forehead on them. Gasps echo in the room with each breath he takes and slowly lets out. The terrified man repeats this several times before he can see straight again.