Chapter 4: The Nannomi

N/A

This book is copyrighted! Any use or plagiarism of this book will not be tolerated and immediately taken down. For new chapters, you can find them updated on Webnovel for you to purchase if you want to support me. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, City Center, Nemtu

12:00 pm

Amelia walks through the small market in the middle of town. Her eyes are cast down to the screen sitting in her small, grayish hands. Sand slides over her shoes with each step she takes, leaving grains in the grooves of the tough fabric. Dry wind blows through her dusty rose-colored hair. Code flashes over the screen as her brows knit together in frustration.

"I know that look," says a tall man.

Amelia's pale pink eyes move from the glowing glass to the source of the soft voice. An aging man with coal eyes smiles at her as she trudges to the burlap tent. She sets the rectangular glass on the small wooden table and sits down on a basket stool.

"What's the matter, Amelia? Did something go wrong with the new algorithm?" he asks as he moves motherboards and computer chips to their proper baskets.

"The new line of code Aiden added is messing with the entire thread. It's thrown everything out of whack. Nothing works properly anymore," she says and she pokes at the screen once more.

"Did you tell him that the algorithm can't withstand the new line?" asks the man as he looks over her shoulder at the thread of code.

"No Dad, I haven't because this line of code is genius, and deleting it would be devastating to the whole process. I just need to write another line that pulls the whole thing together," Amelia says softly as she concentrates on another line of code.

Her father's eyes move quickly over the code as she writes it and a smile stretches over his face. He straightens up and moves back over to the baskets of electronic scrap.

"Did you quantify the time relative to space, carrying the two?" he asks as he inspects a piece of broken machinery.

"I did... Not," she says surprised and she looks over the thread.

She looks at him curiously and he shrugs with a sideways grin pressing his thin lips and wrinkling the corners of his eyes. Amelia smiles to herself as she finishes writing the rest of the line. She stands and kisses her father on the cheek. He smiles at her warmly. She returns his smile and tucks stray hair behind her ear.

"Thanks, Dad," she says before hurrying out of the tent.

She tucks the glass into her cloth bag and takes off, charging to a large tent just outside the even larger city. Excitement color her face as her feet thud faintly against the mounds of sand.

Aiden will be so happy to hear the algorithm is ready to go up.

This was the last piece they needed before going online. Their investors will be more than thrilled to hear that it's ready.

She gasps for breath as she throws the cover for the tent open. Aiden looks at her curiously from behind an old modified computer covered in wires and lights.

"It's ready," she says with a smile between gasps.

His eyes go wide and a smile spreads across his face.

"Really? We're a go?" he asks animatedly as he walks toward her.

She nods, still smiling, and pulls the glass tablet from her bag. Amelia walks over to the computer Aiden was on and swipes the thread from her screen to it. They watch with bated breath as the code is written out before them. Amelia bites her lip in anticipation while the screen flashes green and the lights glow.

"It's happening, Amelia! Everything we've worked towards for a year is unfolding before our very eyes," Aiden says as he looks at her.

"It was your genius line of code that made this all possible," she says softly.

His dark gray eyes shine as he looks into hers. Amelia smiles at him and turns her attention back to the computer as the code finishes and starts uploading to the testing server. They watch the bar until it finishes uploading and Aiden moves to the computer next to Amelia. His fingers move quickly as he initiates the testing process. Amelia focuses on the computer in front of her as she types out pieces of code to ensure the algorithm falls into the right parameters.

A larger computer in the middle of the tent flares to life with green as the code is downloaded. Once finished, the entire screen is covered in running code. Aiden types vigorously along with Amelia. They both fall back into their seats and watch the large glass screen as their work comes to life. Their eyes gleam with happiness with smiles that make their faces hurt. They look at each other and laugh.

Amelia covers her mouth with her hand. Tears fill her eyes as she looks around at the equipment, the code, and then, at Aiden. Her hand falls away from her face and she stands. She walks up to him, still smiling.

"We did it, Aiden. It works. This algorithm is going to help so many," she says and turns to look at the running code.

She feels arms squeeze her body in a tight embrace and she turns to Aiden's excited face.

"This past year has been the best year of my life. Working with you and building this entire setup. Everything has been like a dream. Then that woman showed up and offered to help get the project off the ground. I've loved every minute of it," he says as he lets her go.

"Speaking of Ms. Sventz... We need to call her and tell her the good news."

He pulls a phone from the large drawer in the desk and dials the number she had given them. Amelia stands next to Aiden, chewing her lip, as he starts the conference call. A breathy voice floats through the speaker connected to the phone.

"Aiden, Amelia... How's everything?" Samone asks sounding a bit bored.

"It's finished! We've uploaded it to the testing server you lent us. Everything appears to be working perfectly. All that's left to do is a field test and I'm one hundred percent certain it will work to our exact specifications," says Aiden confidently.

"Outstanding! I'll have my people look it over before I come to collect. This is going to change the world," she says in a silky voice.

"We'll be awaiting your call, Ms. Sventz," Amelia says and ends the call.

They look at each other and Aiden runs his grayish fingers through his dark green hair. Their eyes are wide as they take in the fact that they accomplished their lifelong dream of helping others with their vast knowledge.