1. who are you?

i felt a strange feeling of unease for the first time in what felt like forever. i considered myself a pretty confident woman up until i was walking down the hall, unsure of what to expect from the new group of boys i'd be tied down to for the rest of the season. i loved my job, really, but working with mostly men all day started to get exhausting after a while.

every year i was put with a different team, new people every time. my job didn't require me to do much, just to make sure that the team i'm assigned to gets where they need to be on time, and in order. i was practically a glorified babysitter for grown men that just so happened to be extremely good at video games.

i felt a sudden change of pace as soon as i lifted my hand to knock on the door. i almost turned away to leave, but i knew i had to go in.

numerous screaming voices were heard from inside, quickly easing to small grunting and groaning. when i knocked, the room seemed fo fall silent for the most part. a small framed boy answered, moving a free hand through his thick, dark hair as he looked at me. i felt the intensity of his stare spike my anxiety once more, just as he seemed to eye me up and down like a piece of meat.

"hey, i'm luna, i'm the team's assistant for the season," i quickly stated, passing a gaze over the other boys behind him, who looked at me expectantly.

"oh, uh, okay, i'm matthew."

"i'll be staying next door, just let me know if you need anything. my number's on the -" i felt my words start to fumble as i glanced over at the boy standing in front of me, "-it's, um, on the desk right there. we'll be going at noon tomorrow."

"okay, thanks."

i'd save introductions for tomorrow. it was already nearing ten p.m., and being jet lagged wasn't helping my situation. i wasn't exactly psyched to be in california again, but it was better than being back home, indulging myself in jacob's pity party.

i thought about jacob once again as i walked back to my room, possibly the only good thing to come from this job. well, the room and getting away from home every once in a while. jacob's latest heartbreak made me realize just how numb i had become. it was getting harder to act like the best friend. i hated myself for it, as i had started lying to everyone, especially jacob, about my own feelings. i wanted him - needed him, it seemed - perhaps i just wasn't making it obvious enough.

opening my room door once again, my eyes strained to focus on the suitcases lined against the wall. i felt awful, not having much time to unpack or anything. i felt awful being far away from jacob again. going back home would fix almost all of my problems.

when i locked the door behind me, i immediately began undressing myself to get ready for bed. tying my hair into a bun, i figured a hot shower would help me relax a little. the first few days were always miserable and crazy. this too shall pass.

feeling the running water, i held my hand out until the temperature seemed just hot enough. steam filled the bathroom quickly, just before i stepped in the tub.

trying my hardest to keep my hair dry for a comfortable night's sleep, i managed to ease some tension. keeping a now warm towel around my naked body, i made my way towards my pink suitcase, holding all of my pajamas.

just as i was about to pull my suitcase open, a hard knock on the door made me jump out of my skin. multiple voices came from the other side, as i cursed under my breath.

rushing to the doorway, i looked through the peep hole towards the same league boy, waiting outside with a few others. his dark brown hair slightly messy, nervously adjusting his orange team jersey.

"hey, uh, luna," my name rolling off of his tongue seemed forced, as he tested the sound of it, "we were gonna go get something to eat."

slightly opening the door with a small sigh, i poked my head out, attempting to hide the fact that my body was only dressed in a slightly damp towel.

"thanks guys, i'm good, just gonna get to bed."

normally the teams were overly nice for the first few weeks, so it wasn't unusual that they had asked, however it was unusual that the rest of the team had already started making their way downstairs, as matthew and one other stood by.

"okay, cool. need us to bring you anything?" matthew asked.

"she said she's good, let's go," the other had stated, lightly pulling on his shirt as he turned away. "sorry, i'm charlie, by the way."

"nice to meet you," i flashed a small grin towards him, before shutting the door again. i felt a little bad, especially since matthew was still standing there, staring just as i had shut the door again. but, it would've been awkward anyways, and i was extremely exhausted.