4. how's this?

i grabbed my purse, shortly after hearing some of the guys leaving. i said my goodbyes to them, as they were on their way to a much needed dinner. slowly opening the door, i silently closed it behind me, as matthew was still in the midst of a game. he heard me enter, and glanced back at me for a moment.

"sorry, it's almost over," he apologized, using a free hand to pull a different chair closer to him. "come here."

i felt my face flush again, as he pulled his headset back, offering a listening ear even if i had no intention of speaking. his hyper fixation on the game gave me true insight into just how serious it was to him. of course i knew how serious the competitions were, though i was never this close and attentive to anybody while they played.

"observe," he broke the silence with a small smile, pulling my stare from him towards the screen. shortly after, he eliminated a lot of people as reinhardt, leaning back in his chair with excitement and pride. i couldn't help but smile at how euphoric he looked.

"nice," i replied, setting my bag to the side, on the floor to offer more space between us. 'victory' came across the screen in bold letters for both of us to see, before going black for a short moment. after that, my attention went back to him.

"wanna try?" he asked, catching me completely off gaurd as he slightly turned in his chair, looking back at me. one thing for sure, nobody had ever asked me that. immediately, i started shaking my head.

"i don't- i really shouldn't. i've never played before, i don't wanna ruin your rank," i responded, making him go into a whirlwind of emotions for a moment.

"you've never played before?! how'd you know about ranking?"

"i never played the game, but i know a lot about it, i'm not stupid," i laughed, glancing back at the screen as he left the game.

"quickplay, then," he offered, not really leaving me much of a choice as he started the queue immediately. i looked at him with uncertainty. a professional gamer wanted me to play a match in front of him. this was like usain bolt wanting you to do a lap for him while he rehydrated. matthew just gave me a small, precious smile before slightly pulling his chair out. "i'm serious, i'll even help you. come here."

i couldn't physically get any closer to him without sitting on his lap. i felt my heart beat harden under my chest, feeling my entire body go warm just from the offer.

i slowly stood up, without saying a word in response. he moved his arms in response as i slowly sat on his lap, feeling entirely full of butterflies as he gently pulled us closer to the desk. his face looked over my shoulder, awfully close to mine as we both looked at the loading screen. he put a hand on my side, looking down at the keyboard. there was no way i'd do any good in a game feeling this way.

"w, s, a and d to move. space to jump. left click to shoot," he stated, as my shaking hands reached for the keyboard. "it's easy, don't worry about it."

he used his free hand, the one that wasn't holding onto my side, to remove his headset. he stopped touching me for a moment to put the headset on me himself. i heard background music playing as his hands went back to touching my sides.

"who do you wanna play?" he asked, placing a gentle and warm hand over mine on the computer mouse. he slowly led me to a roster of all the characters to choose from.

"i always liked zen, that one," i nodded my head towards the corner, where the robotic yet lovable robot was.

the queue ended before he could click on him for me, though even as the game started, he kept his hand on mine.

"give it a try," his voice was calm and soothing as he chose zen for me, letting me test out some of the controls in the spawning room. my hands nervously tried out each control, moving in strange patterns as i continuously jumped up and down, shooting every few seconds. "hold this down to charge it up."

his finger pushed down on mine, allowing my character to charge his bullets. throwing multiple at the same time, i felt comfortable enough to at least try, now.

"how's this? you okay?" he asked, after slightly adjusting himself underneath me. i felt butterflies again just as the game started.

"yeah."