3. practice.

i finally had a free moment with the entire team, nervously looking back at them as they stared at me. they were waiting for me to say something.

"you guys know i'm luna, i'm the TA for the season. just let me know if you need anything." i repeated what i had said the night before, but this time they listened. they eagerly turned in their chairs, getting prepared to actually practice their gameplay. i noticed matthew smile at me before turning, too. he made me nervous, but a good kind of nervous. i felt my cheeks go red when he looked at me, almost too shy to look back at him.

it was always best to leave them alone for the time being, so i left the room, finding a different computer to sit down at for now. i figured now would be a great time to actually do some research.

i typed in the san francisco shock team, coming across a variety of different links. i clicked the first, which led me straight to a roster of the players. i always thought it was interesting that they called them 'athletes'.

i saw all of their familiar faces - ten to be exact - one in particular being matthew's, who was also known as super. fitting it seemed. i tried not getting too distracted, as i copied the entirety of their schedule for the next two weeks into the calendar on my phone.

after putting all the needed information into my calendar, i made the mistake of reading jacob's text message from this morning.

jake - hope you're having fun in california (: can you call me later? i wanna see you

i figured it would be rude to not respond immediately after reading it, as i did leave him on delivered for hours at this point.

luna - sure thing, and yeah its not so bad so far

i felt bad for not telling him about matthew. why? i wasn't sure. i definitely thought matthew was cute, however i had loved jacob for over two years now, even if he couldn't admit it. we were best friends, why was i so intrigued by some guy i just met?

nevermind that, why was i so bashful and nervous in his presence? jacob never made me feel that way, at least not on purpose. matthew seemed to know exactly what he was doing to me, why wasn't he stopping it? and why did i like that he wasn't stopping it? god, listen to me! so indulged in my own love struck depression, it's making me think that matthew actually had an interest in me outside of work. that's what this was, after all. simple work, it would be over soon. if jacob would just admit his feelings for me, i wouldn't be so confused and excited by matthew, or any other guy for that matter.

i knew it was wrong of me, but i couldn't help but blame jake for this.

my thoughts were cut short as the sound of screaming erupted from the other room. it startled me every time, even after years of working with the overwatch league. matthew's voice toppled over the others; he was quite obviously the loudest among all of them.

his cocky attitude radiated through the walls, even i rolled my eyes.

"hey, luna?" a voice from the doorway made me jump out of my skin, after being left alone all day in here, the last thing i expected was a visit from matthew. i looked at him with a soft, open expression, "would you stay later with me here? i might need your help with some scheduling stuff."

"of course i can, just let me know when you wanna talk," i nodded in agreement, actually liking the sound of it. in this case, i could put off having to call jacob for a few more hours at the least. thann you, matthew.

"they'll be gone in like an hour. just come in then, thanks," he gave a sweet smile, before shutting the door once more. after a few hours of being here, i had started to realize that matthew was sort of the team captain? i still wasn't entirely sure, however, he seemed to act the part at least. they were scheduled to play tomorrow, then do a short signing and meet and greet afterwards. there wasn't a lot of wiggle room when it came to the scheduling, but i suppose i'd at least try; after all, i was trying to find some way to pay him back (without him even noticing) for being so nice to me thus far. favoritism? maybe, but that wasn't exactly a crime with my job.