2. meet cute.

i finished doing my makeup around ten in the morning, brushing my hair out to simply put in a hair tie. i felt my phone vibrate from my back pocket, though i quickly tidied the bathroom counter before checking it. it was a message from jacob, though i didn't read it. knowing my luck, it would be something to ruin my mood for the rest of the day. the first day working with the team, i had to make a good impression.

i quickly dialed the number my boss had given me a few days earlier, for the limousine. of course the team didn't have to take it, however i'd at least give them a nice ride over to the practice facility for their first day back on season.

i patted myself up and down, glancing around my room for a moment, making sure i wouldn't forget a thing. knowing i hadn't, i grabbed my hotel key and left, locking the room behind me. glancing back down at my phone, the boys were split into five rooms. 136, 137, 142, and 147. going next door to 136, i gently knocked, waiting for a simple and quick answer so i could move on. matthew opened the door rather suddenly. i noticed another walking to the bathroom behind him.

"hey, good morning," he smiled, rubbing his left eye gently with a tired expression. i offered a short grin before continuing.

"hey, the limo will be here in thirty minutes, breakfast here or there, it doesn't matter," i explained quickly, stepping away towards the next room before matthew abruptly stopped me.

"no, it's okay, i'll text them," he said, closing the door behind him, leaving just the two of us in a silent hotel hallway. i didn't want to stare too long, though it was when i first realized how young he looked. his tired eyes still looked back at me with interest.

"okay, well i'll be downstairs," i stated, blinking my eyes away from him, feeling a little shy to even look into his eyes for that long.

"i'll come with you," he seemed eager to be near me, though quickly went back to brushing it off like nothing really mattered. he was a nervous wreck but still managed to give me a comforting smile.

i simply nodded, preparing myself for an awkwardly silent walk towards the elevator. i knew i had very little in common with the professional gaming teams, considering i wasn't that invested in games to begin with. i had never even played overwatch before.

"when did you start working with the league?" he asked, as we stood side by side, waiting for the elevator.

"a few years ago, four i think. you?"

"two," he responded, glancing at me with a prideful grin. "what team were you with before?"

"dallas," i raised my eyebrows, letting out a small sigh, reminiscing on the previous season, spending a lot of time in texas.

"hm," he nodded, "well, we'll have to get you some shock gear. we'll be your favorite team by the end of the season." he let out a small laugh and i couldn't help but reciprocate. i never saw myself being a glorified servant for professional gamers, let alone wearing a team jersey for them.

the elevator doors finally opened, letting us join a man in a suit, ignoring us entirely as he texted on his phone. matthew and i stepped inside, whilst he pressed the main floor button.

matthew leaned against the wall in the corner, giving me enough space to stand across from him. i felt the weight of the elevator shift as we began descending, making me feel weirdly queasy.

the elevator stopped on the third floor, letting three others enter, two more guys and a younger girl. i quickly moved over, giving them plenty of space whilst unknowingly closing the space between matthew and i. i felt my shoulder touch his chest, earning a sweet smile from him. it was already too late to go back, as my previous spot was already occupied. the shift of the elevator squeezed me a little closer to him for a moment, forcing me to notice his hand holding onto the bar behind me, letting his thumb lightly touch my side, almost like his arm was around me. however, after glancing up at him, he didn't seem to notice it.

when the elevator stopped, he stood up straight, pressing his chest against the back of my shoulder, looking down at me with a soft and innocent expression. he definitely knew what he was doing. i didn't mention it, but instead walked into the hotel lobby.

"so what exactly is it that you do?" he asked, following me towards the cafe.

"um, well," i thought, grabbing an apple from the basket, "anything you guys need me for. food, transportation. i just try to make everything goes smoothly. didn't you have a TA last year?"

"yeah, but i guess he was just different."

"different?"

" i don't know how to explain it. maybe you're just better at it than him."

"i'll be your guys' favorite by the end of the season," i winked, smiling at my own joke as i took a seat.