16. advice.

it was the day before their next match against the houston outlaws. the team had lost to them before, but knew it wasn't impossible to beat them, so long as they focused. i went to practice with the guys for a short period of time before having to go to the galon center, deeper into los angeles. i met with daniel here, who always showed for houston games near him, regardless. he was polishing his glasses when i noticed him. placing them back on, he saw me immediately.

"hey, come to watch the setup?" he asked, just as i had stopped to stand next to him. nodding, i took a deep breath, as these heels were starting to kill my feet.

"yeah, jordan wanted me here. he asked me to come, since it's texas playing," i responded, still unsure as to why i had to arrive a day early for a game houston was attending - it wasn't like it was dallas, however i didn't question it. my boss wasn't a big fan of constant questioning; just do what you're told.

"it was my idea. i figured you'd like to be a part of it; it is texas," he reiterated, looking at me with slightly raised eyebrows.

"still haven't decided," i spoke through gritted teeth, not seeing much before us aside from a crew of people setting up the arena. "you ever think that i might like other places, other than wherever you are?"

"interesting observation, but you're the one that's been following me around, i have seniority over you," he joked, smiling slightly as it was an entire coincidence that we had started to become good friends over the past few years. "i thought you'd like to rent a condo, be next door neighbors with the white picket fence, it would be perfect, huh?"

"it's all coincidental, don't let it get to your head," i grinned, though i was grateful for his presence throughout my career in the overwatch league. if i knew how to do anything, it was all thanks to him.

"remember your first year?" he asked, making me go red with embarrassment as i thought about it. my first year, i had spent the majority if it shadowing daniel, who was always open to teach me anything i wanted to know, however had a bad habit of getting black out drunk at whatever social gathering we were forced to attend. i played mom through my entire first season. truthfully, though, i think it helped me prepare for the glorified babysitting of the teams.

"i try to forget, but you remind me every year."

"you were so scared being around so many guys, and seeing you last night... you make me proud," he offered a genuine smile to me, adjusting his glasses once more. "you have come a long way, and dallas could really use that."

"daniel..." i drifted off, reminding him that i hated being pressured into doing things. he dropped it immediately, with a short sigh. i felt bad for constantly rejecting him or shutting him down all season thus far. "can i be honest with you?"

"of course," he nodded, continuing his curios gaze towards the set up crew. i held my breath for a moment - maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

"i'm seeing someone," i stated, vaguely, but enough to ask for his advice without revealing too much, "here, in california."

"recently?" he asked, still not looking at me, though i wouldn't be able to read his expression either way.

"yeah. if i go to dallas i may never see him again," i pondered, just thinking about never seeing matthew again made me shiver to my core. i wasn't sure how a person got so deep under my skin so quickly. "any advice?"

"want the truthful advice or the comforting advice?"

"truthful."

"don't waste your time on relationships that aren't going to work. like me and you, we work great together, we enjoy each other's company... we fit perfectly together - in a work sense. why would i waste my time working with anybody else? i've got a great partner right here. you know how i do things, i know how you do things. i'd argue that i know you better than anybody else, but regardless... you shouldn't waste too much time and potential on a fling. he may seem like prince charming now, but in a year he's back to who he really is. i know, because i've done it before," daniel explained, well articulated and perfectly put together. i was slightly annoyed that he made so much sense, but i didn't let him know this. i asked for advice and got it, whether i liked it or not didn't matter. "what i'm saying is don't throw this opportunity away for a guy that we both know isn't going to be around for long."

he finally looked down at me, noticing my slightly hurt and annoyed expression. he truly could read me like a book, immediately picking up on how much his advice could potentially hurt my feelings.

"it's nothing you're doing wrong, i just know how these guys are. the fact that you didn't even tell me his name or go into excruciating detail about how you first met tells me that it was nothing deserving of such a story. you're a great girl, you're just a little blinded right now, and that's okay. but i'm telling you as your true friend, that it isn't worth it. that's my comforting advice."

i felt my mood plummeting already, wanting to just lay down and forget i ever heard him speak. i would tell him more, i would tell him his name, birthday, favorite color, favorite everything, and go into a painfully long story about how i met him and when i first started falling for him, but i couldn't. i couldn't give out that information, not now at least. daniel was an extremely smart, experienced guy. if i just told him everything he'd know exactly what to do. i just couldn't bring myself to even risk matthew and i being separated now. that, and it could put my entire job on the line. looking back at daniel, he offered a comforting smile, to which i had no choice but to return with just a little less enthusiasm.

"cheer up, luna. someday you'll find the perfect guy for you, and you won't have to be ashamed of anything. you won't be put in these tough positions, where you think leaving will be the end game. it's not always like that," daniel slightly shook his head. biting my lip, i was afraid to ask, but couldn't help myself. we were on a bit of a roll, getting super personal.

"you've been through it?" i asked, maybe finding comfort in his answer. he smiled, an answer before he even spoke another word.

"yeah, a few years before you started working here, actually. i figured that if i stayed in miami, i could be living the life of my dreams by now. but, not everyone stays faithful when you're thousands of miles away, unfortunately," he went on, making me hate myself for even asking. i could tell it hurt to even think about. i could only imagine what he had gone through, leaving for work only for the girl of his dreams to cheat on him whilst he was away. "as for being on the other end of it, i faked my way into a lot of relationships. but after the last one, i figured it's best to just show my true self before getting into anything serious."

"why do they do it, then?" i asked, afraid of the answer but too curious to turn back now. "why do guys pretend so much?" he bit the inside of his cheek, concealing a small grin before sighing.

"beautiful girls like you, luna. we can't help ourselves. we think if we act the best we can for a while, we can live comfortably once we have you in. it's a trick as old as time. sometimes we do it without even noticing."

"they must not think of the consequences that come back to bite them in the ass for the end."

"we don't. it's hard to see that far into the future. i'm sure this guy you like is actually convincing himself that he's becoming a better man through you, but after a while he starts to slip up again. there's no such thing as the perfect man, just what you think is perfect," daniel explained, gesturing for me to walk with him out of the auditorium area. walking next to him, he fixed his sleeve before checking his watch. "i'd better head back to my hotel. exciting day tomorrow. wanna do dinner again?"

i thought for a moment, before shaking my head slowly. he smiled in response, nodding back in an understanding way.

"right. well let me call a cab for you at least."