Chapter Thirty-Two

Watson P.O.V

How are you supposed to act when you are at someone else's house? That was what I found myself wondering as Elijah led me up an elegant staircase to what I was guessing to be his bedroom. As I looked around, I found the entire place to be not as overwhelming as I imagined it would be.

At first, I hadn't been sure what to expect. I knew enough about Elijah to know that his family was wealthy. Everyone knew that much. The house's exterior made sense, and a part of me expected it to be more extravagant inside than it ended up being. Not that it mattered. In the end, what the house looked like or came across as changed nothing. All that was important was that Elijah was going out of his way to help me. That being the most shocking part of it all.

I couldn't stop myself from subtly admiring the house as we walked through it. It was spacious and clean, not littered with beer cans or trash. I wanted a clean place like this, not that it would ever happen when my father is the way he is, a drunk scary mess.

While I was in no rush to go home, it was impossible for me to forget who would be waiting for me when I got home, how angry that person would be. I didn't need to be thinking about that right now; worrying about it wouldn't change anything. As much as I wanted to turn back, head home now to alleviate the potential punishment, I couldn't. I had already made myself a promise that I would try my hardest to get out of this situation, to get out of my father's grasp. I wasn't planning on going back on that promise. Not this promise.

"This is my room,"

His words startled me since I had not been paying any attention. I hadn't even noticed that we had stopped walking. Elijah was gesturing into a large room that had me stopping in my tracks. His room was incredible. I didn't think his room would be this big . . . I stood awkwardly in the middle of his room, afraid to touch anything.

Even though Elijah had brought me here to help me, I never really stopped to think about what would happen if Elijah couldn't help me. Not that I was completely unaware of the solutions . . .

I knew who I would have to call, that wasn't the problem. I think it was willing myself to take that step that I was truly struggling with. After all this time, all the pain and abuse, a part of me was just used to it all. Willing to handle it for another year. But I didn't deserve that, I never have. It didn't help that I was afraid of reaching out and having it blow up in my face. But I needed to take that risk if I wanted the abuse to stop. The bullying halting was probably the root of my sudden courage, something I would have to thank Evelyn for. I don't think Evelyn is even remotely aware of how much she had saved me. Even though she has done so much for me, I didn't want her any more involved, not when it comes to my father. Maybe going to Elijah wasn't the smartest thing, but I had a feeling that he would help if I asked him.

He proved me correct by offering to assist me even if he wasn't entirely sure what to do either. I don't know, but that small gesture really meant a lot to me. I might have told Elijah that my father was abusing me, but I have never talked about it in detail before. I was starting to dread it. Telling Elijah would be one thing, but there was a chance that I would have to tell others later. Just the thought of telling people made me tense up and panic. It was a scary feeling, one that I knew I would have to face, even if right now, I don't really want to.

The two of us sat down in the corner of his room, where we sat facing each other. For a moment, it was very tense and awkward. I didn't know what to say, and it was clear that Elijah didn't either. We soon moved past it, though, as the questions started up.

I answered most of the questions mindlessly. A part of me was glad that I could just tune myself out as I admitted to my painful past, to the reality of my abuse. I know now that the abuse was not my fault, but before, I had stupidly believed that it was. My father used it all to his advantage, my fear, my pain, everything.

Admitting that was harder than I thought it would be.

"Why did you ask me for help?" Elijah eventually asked after some of the more difficult questions. "Out of everyone, why me?"

I didn't know how to answer at first. All the other questions had pretty straightforward answers, but this one stopped me. But I had nothing to hide.

"I guess . . . I had a feeling I could trust you," Just admitting it made me flush an embarrassing red. I know that I shouldn't have since this wasn't a time to be getting embarrassed. I guess I just felt like I was admitting to something other than my abuse. Like I was admitting to feelings that shouldn't exist.

But right now was not the time for that. Not that I'm sure there would be a time for it.

"Oh." For a second, I thought that was all he was going to say. "I'm glad," When I glanced up to look at him, there was a slight smile on his face. I wasn't entirely sure why but seeing it made me feel good inside. It wasn't like the fake smile that I've seen Elijah wear. This one looked genuine, which made me feel all the better.

"So," I said, getting back on topic, "What should I do?" It was the part of the conversation that I had come here for. The entire reason I had branched out and sought assistance.

"Well, for one, you definitely need to take this to the police."

I nodded because he was right. That didn't stop ever concern from flooding into my head. I didn't voice them because most of them weren't worth mentioning. I still think Elijah picked up on my concern because he did touch up on at least one of them.

"Even without proof, the police shouldn't be able to ignore a claim involving child abuse, and it wouldn't hurt to get child protective services involved either."

He was right, but all I could think about was how many people I would have to tell what I told him. That everyone would find out. I was afraid of their reactions, fearful of what they might say after they find out. All of it was exactly what I would have usually run away from, but this time was different.

This time, I wasn't alone.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I glanced at Elijah, who was looking back at me, his eyes holding concern. I had to force myself not to talk myself out of what I was about to do. It was hard; after years of taking the abuse, I didn't know whether or not I should finally put an end to it.

My following words took all the courage I had in my body, and even though I struggled to get the words out, I knew it was all for the better.

"Can I use your phone?"