Chapter Twenty

A/N: Missed me?

Social Classes, and Mean-Girls.

Chapter Twenty

Watson P.O.V

After leaving the class with a new set of thoughts on my mind, I pushed any thought of texting Elijah away for the moment. I still felt bad for not texting him last night, but based on the interaction between us this morning, aka none, I wasn't sure that he cared if I texted him or not.

If he wants to talk about it, he can come to me.

The only thing is, I know he won't. No, in front of everyone anyway. If he wanted to talk to me in person, he'd find a way to do it privately so that no one would see him talking to me.

It was horrible that it was that way. It wasn't even my fault either. It was his friends who put themselves on the highest pedestal possible, acting like their shit doesn't stink. That was what made it worse, Elijah has done the same dang thing. You can't just hang with people like that and not agree with the way they acted.

I pushed forwards down the school hallway, lost thinking about that. Those types of things bothered me. We should all be considered equal, so why did they think they were in any way special? Because their parents had some more cash than the rest of us?

With people like that in the world, I wouldn't know who to trust. Based on what I have seen, those guys are more than willing to stab each other in the back. I don't understand how they can call each other friends but prepared to abandon the relationship for popularity. That was why I have no friends.

That, and I am not befriending the k-pop fans.

Those girls were a breed of their own and are batshit crazy! You can't even talk to them without them attempting to enter you in the army. I don't know what that has to do with k-pop. I've learned my lesson and just decided to stay away from those girls, which wasn't hard as they usually had their headphones in loudly blaring Korean songs.

It wasn't like they really wanted to be my friend anyway, they wanted to convert me. And as much as I wanted friends, I was not going to change myself for them to accept me.

I wasn't that desperate. Not yet, anyway.

Going through the next few classes was a blur, not paying attention to the teacher and watching my peers interact with each other, just wanting to see if the mental social class chart I was making was accurate or not. It was proving to be correct the longer I watched.

Although it wasn't complicated, it was weird. The popular girls would only interact with other popular kids and jocks, but the jocks would interact with the gamers, only they weren't the nerdy gamers, no, they were the buffer gamers who play call of duty and fortnite. Those gamers talked to the smart girls in the class, but the popular girls wouldn't waste a second on them. The intelligent girls talk to the jocks as well. It was weird to watch them interact. It kind of reminds me of a networking mesh. If you don't know what that is or looks like, look up topology mesh, it should pop up.

Look at that! The one-semester of computer classes the whole grade took can occasionally pay off! Not really considering I would never do anything with networking. EVER!

I looked away from the ensemble of kids. I glanced around my area. All the seats around me were unoccupied, proving to me that none of my peers wanted to be sat near me. I stand out against the system and interact with no one. Of course, that isn't including Elijah, who is breaking the fragile system. He is doing something his friends wouldn't approve of in the slightest. He can deny that as much as he wants, but he cares about how others see him. He cares about how others think about him.

If I allowed myself to be like that, I would have driven myself insane. Caring about people who didn't care about you in return is one of the worst things I can imagine, it's worse than being friendless. Having false hope that someone cares, thinking you have someone on your side, only for them to turn their back on you, leaving you heartbroken and more lonely than ever.

I don't pity Elijah, though. He probably doesn't see how awful is friends truly are. Too caught up in the illusion of the fakest sets of friendships I've ever seen. That whole situation is his own fault, and I will do nothing about it but watch.

I should have been watching around my classroom because I was drawn back into focus by a paper ball being flung into my face.

"Pay attention, you freak!" One of the popular girls said, turned around in her chair, sending him a twisted glare. This wasn't because of his nearly created potential friendship with Elijah. They always have it out for me.

I look back down, choosing not to acknowledge them. I know this wasn't the smartest idea, probably just drawing their anger towards me out even more, but I knew better than to reply. Whether I reacted or not, they would take it the same way and respond with more anger.

I glanced at the teacher, who wasn't paying the class any attention, making me feel a sense of dread. The teacher wouldn't have helped me anyway, corrupt with the knowledge of how much the popular kid's parents funded the school, and in return, funded their paychecks. I hated when teachers cared more about their pay than the students and whether or not they were okay.

"Stupid freak," The girl muttered just loud enough for me to hear before turning away and continued to talk cheerfully with her pals.

I lowered my head to my desk and tuned them all out without glancing up again. Was this how Elijah truly was? I didn't want to think that way, but I didn't know Elijah, and he was involved deeply with this group of kids. He has had so much time and opportunity to find a new group of friends, but he hasn't.

When the bell for that class rang, I waited for everyone to leave before doing so myself. It was lunchtime now, and I was debating on whether or not going to the cafeteria was a smart idea or not. I honestly don't think it was. What if that girl and her posse decided to mess with me? The cafeteria was usually a place they decided not to bother me in. It doesn't matter. I didn't want to go to lunch anyway.

Stepping out of my classroom, I was beyond startled to see Elijah chilling outside the door. I would have walked over to him if the girl who had been mean to me in class just moments ago wasn't hanging off his arm. I would tell that I didn't need to intervene, especially when I saw Elijah's girlfriend walk over with anger in her eyes.

Elijah's mess, not mine.