Chapter Thirty-Six

Watson P.O.V

I was no stranger to being picked on and pushed around; that much everyone knows. It was something that's happened for my entire life. I didn't expect anything different just because I was at some posh party.

The difference between then and now is that it wasn't just me they decided to target. No, they messed up the moment they tried anything against Evelyn. She was different from me, stronger, and not afraid to stand up against them; she was inspiring, at least, she was to me. She had the confidence to fight back, which was no small feat.

Without Evelyn, I would have let them kick me out because, realistically, I didn't belong here. They were right, to an extent. Pity and sympathy had gotten me here, got me a long way. It would be a lie to think otherwise. Call it what you want, but I was in a safer place at the end of the day, away from the abuse and neglect. If that is pity, then I will be thankful and accept it until it's gone.

"I dare you to touch me," Evelyn snapped at Madeline, who started approaching her. "See what will happen." Evelyn had this air about her, a sense of confidence. It was enough to make Madeline pause, glancing back at Jenny, who was still smirking mischievously while trying to hug Elijah.

If Jenny actually wanted Elijah to like her, I don't understand why she would think harassing Evelyn would continue to make that a possibility. They might not act like it in school, but the pair were closer than they seemed. They were siblings at the end of the day; I couldn't imagine Elijah dating someone so willing to bully their sibling.

"What are you waiting for, Maddy?" Jenny snapped at her. "I said I wanted them out!" She turned to grin at Elijah. "You'd love some private time with me, right? No need to have these two bothering us."

Claire was already trying to drag me away, ignoring the hesitation behind us, but for the first time in a long time, I fought back. I yanked my arm out of her grasp, which turned out to be relatively weak. Neither of us expected me to fight back. I reclaimed my spot beside Evelyn, who, out of the corner of her eye, seemed proud. It was a step in the right direction, away from letting people walk all over me.

"Jenny, I have told you so many times that I'm not interested!" Elijah snapped at her, shoving her back hard enough for her to stumble a few steps. "Not only that, who do you think you are kicking people out of an event you aren't even in charge of?!" Elijah argued back, pointing a finger at her.

Jenny turned a bright red before she, too, decided to snap back. "My parents are running this event, and by default, I am too! And if I say that I want these two . . . pieces of sh*t to be removed from MY HOUSE, then they will be!" She shouted at him, gathering the attention of the adults nearby. "And since you think you're too good for me, then you can leave too!"

Jenny turned to one of the interested bystanders, snapping her fingers at them. "Can you summon security? I have three uninvited guests who need to be escorted out; thank you." She turned to smirk at us, seeming smug. She probably thought she was showing us who was boss, putting us in our 'place.' However, the only thing she was showing me was how nosy people are. Her shouting had gotten a lot of attention, and any hope of me not embarrassing the Andrews went straight out the window.

Everyone seemed to horde around us as security arrived, as well as Mr. and Mrs. Andrews, and who I assumed were Jenny's parents. The vast amount of eyes on us made my chest feel heavy. I didn't like it, but I kept my mouth shut, knowing now wasn't the time to say anything.

"What is going on here?" A lady, who I assume is Jenny's mother, asks. She looked like Jenny and, in a way, had the same air of arrogance; it wasn't hard to put two-and-two together. "Jennifer, I explicitly told you tonight was important, so why are you summoning security on the Andrew's children?"

"Mom, they have insulted me and harassed me here and in school," She lied. If anything, she was the harasser here and in school. "Elijah pushed me, and I felt threatened, so I wanted to have them removed." She started to cry, but I'd seen my fair share of crocodile tears to know they were fake. I could have cringed at the fact Elijah pushed her, which, unfortunately, was the truth.

"We did not!" Evelyn protested, turning toward her parents. "She came over here harassing Watson and wanted to remove the two of us so she could have some 'alone time' with Elijah!" She turned back to glare at Jenny. "Who has made it clear he wasn't interested. SHE was harassing US!"

They were two different stories; I'll admit that. Any parent would side with their child in most cases, which is precisely what Jenny's parents and the Andrews did.

"Those are some bold allegations, sweetheart," Jenny's father proclaimed. "You said they harass you in school as well?"

"YES! They pick on me and call me names," She continued to cry. I felt myself begin to burn with anger. Her lies were disgusting. I'm over here, a victim of bullying, and she has the gall to make a mockery of it by trying to twist it in a way to frame all of us as bullies? I couldn't even imagine putting someone through, even a day of what I've gone through, to accuse me of such, lie or not, p*ssed me off.

"We have not! She's the bully!" Elijah protested, but I don't think it helped in our defense much.

"I know my children, and they wouldn't even think about bullying anyone, let alone your daughter," Mrs. Andrews said confidently. "In fact, what I would like to hear more about, is what sounds like your daughter sexually harassing my son. Did I hear that part correctly, Evie?" She asked Evelyn, who nodded her head.

"She kept trying to hug him and touch him, even though he kept pushing her away," Evelyn said.

"Hmm, what do you have to say about that, Gloria? Bart?"

"Our daughter has not sexually harassed your son! So if what my daughter said is true, how are we to know your children aren't lying and the truth is that your son was sexually harassing MY daughter instead?!" Bart proclaimed, looking angrier by the second.

"Because our children. Aren't. Liars. However, it seems your family is. So, kids, we're leaving. I will not subject you three to such blatant lies and accusations," Mr. Andrews said while waving the three of us out of the crowd and towards the exit. Before completely stepping away, however, he paused to look back. "We will be reconsidering renewal of that contract."

With that, Mr. and Mrs. Andrews escorted us out of the building and back towards the limousine we arrived in. The moment we all climbed in, the heavy, overbearing sensation disappeared, and I felt like I could breathe again.

"Kids," Mrs. Andrews said, gathering our attention. "Tell me the truth. Is what you told us what really happened?"

Elijah scoffed. "You don't believe us? Jenny has been hitting on me for months. First, she approached us and started picking on Watson while trying to touch me, and after she didn't get her way, she tried to kick Evelyn and Watson, and eventually me, when she realized I had no intention of going anywhere with her. There, believe that?" Elijah sounded upset, which was understandable, considering his parents doubted our side.

"It's not that we don't believe you, but if the Cross family pushes this legally, we wanted to be sure you weren't lying in the case we have to fight the allegations, that's all," Mrs. Andrews said, reaching to hold Elijah's cheek. "Honey, we trust you and know you wouldn't do what she was insinuating. I just wanted to hear the story from your side."

The vehicle got quiet after that, and all I could think about was how much I had ruined things by attending this event. 

Author Note: I'm not the best at dialogue, which is what this chapter needed. That, and I couldn't remember Evelyn and Elijah's parents' names, which is why they went by their last names. I hope you guys enjoy this, and I'm sorry about the delay since this was supposed to come out on Monday, and realistically, months ago.