Chapter Thirty-Four

Watson P.O.V

Staying a week quickly turned into staying a month, and with each passing day, I started to worry that the Andrews would start to regret offering me a place to stay. I don't know why, as they hadn't said anything that would suggest that idea, but deep down, I knew I would eventually have to leave. I'd have to be crazy to assume that this was a permanent thing. I think that is why I found myself clinging to every moment, enjoying every second while it lasted, why every moment meant the world to me.

I didn't dare say anything, but deep down, I was worried that if I left, Elijah would no longer interact with me, that I'd be ignored and forgotten. Ironically, this fear should decrease as the longer I hang out with Elijah, the more time we spend together, the closer we get. Just when you think you know everything you're going to about a person, they find a way to surprise you with more. That was how it felt to be around Elijah. Every second, as cliche as it might sound, was amazing, which made the idea of leaving even more frightening. I was finally enjoying where I was in my life. I had friends, a safe place to stay; was it wrong for me to be afraid to have it all taken away?

Maybe that was why all my things were still inside the bags that I had brought with me. I was afraid of getting attached to this room, to this place. As much as I wanted to scatter my belongings throughout the room, I couldn't. That's why the room looked the same as the day I arrived, with the exception of my belongings gathered into a bundle in the corner. Sometimes, when Elijah would come into the room to get me, he'd eye the bags with a strange look. I sometimes wonder why, but I wouldn't dare to voice that confusion on the off chance that it was something bad.

I needed to get my mind off of my worries, a distraction perse, but no one was here. Elijah was at a meeting with the newspaper staff, and Evelyn was out shopping with her mother. I was practically left alone, aside from Mr. Andrews, but I couldn't imagine bothering him over some overthinking. The last thing I wanted was to appear ungrateful as they've done so much for me. I didn't want to be asked to leave because over my stupid thoughts and lose the only sense of stability that I've ever had.

I flung myself onto the bed with a sigh, turning my attention to the refined ceiling. These changes were proving to be overly exhausting, but I was okay with it; as long as I continued to have Elijah's family around, then it would all be worth it. Just enjoy every moment, Watson.

I jumped up from the bed when I heard the front door open, excitement overcoming me. I paused, realizing my excitement kind of resembled that of a dog that had been waiting all day for its owner to come home. Like that eager dog, I hurried out of the room and downstairs to see who had come home. Home, I hesitated. Was I daring enough to call this place my home? Downstairs, it was Evelyn and Mrs. Andrews returning from the shopping excursion, carrying a couple of designer-brand shopping bags in each hand. While I was happy to see them, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't Elijah who walked through the door. I flushed for a second, wondering how Elijah would react if he knew that was how I felt.

I forced the thought away as Evelyn turned and noticed me standing at the end of the steps. With a bright smile, Evelyn waved me over. I didn't hesitate, moving into the entryway.

"We got you some things!" Evelyn said excitedly, shoving a couple of bags in my direction, bags that I barely managed to catch. I stared down at the bags in shock. They got me stuff? I could feel tears begin to well up in my eyes. I had never been given things like this before, which made receiving them now even more moving.

"Thank you . . . so much." I gently sat the bags onto the ground before pulling both Evelyn and Mrs. Andrews into my arms. I hugged them with all I had, hoping it was able to express just how thankful I was for them both. They would never understand just how much they have changed my life, but I would never forget. I held onto them, and for a moment, I wondered if this hug, this warmth, was what it felt like to have a family. When I pulled away, I quickly wiped away my tears.

I moved the bags upstairs with Evelyn's assistance, and under her watchful eyes, I opened the bags. Inside was an assortment of clothes and a couple of new shoes. Seeing the new clothes almost brought another set of tears to my eyes. I hugged Evelyn again before she demanded that I try on the new outfits so she could rate them. I didn't even try to protest. Evelyn turned the whole ordeal into a fashion show made for her enjoyment, but I didn't mind. I also had some fun with it, playfully finding new ways to strut out of the bathroom with each new outfit. After trying on all the outfits, I thanked Evelyn yet again.

Unlike the clothes hidden away in my bags, I wasn't afraid to display my new clothes by hanging them up. It just felt . . . right, putting these things in their proper place. As I was folding the last pair of pants, there was a faint knock on the doorway. I snapped my head up to see that it was Elijah, a slight smile gracing his face. I tilted my head in confusion, wondering what the meaning was behind that smile.

"Finally unpacking?" He slid into the room, collapsing on the bed with a sigh of relief. He rolled onto his side to watch me as I continued to put away the new clothes. I could feel his eyes on me, and unlike the stares of my tormentors, his gaze brought me comfort.

"No, your mom and sister got me some new clothes, so I thought I'd hang them up." This seemed to pique his interest, his eyebrows perking slightly before a brighter smile spread across his face. His smile was mesmerizing. "You missed it. Evelyn made me try everything on." I smiled, fingering at the sleeve of one of the shirts. I had an inkling feeling that Evelyn personally picked this particular shirt out, which made me love it even more.

"Trust me; I would have preferred to be here," Elijah groaned, rubbing his eyes in visible discomfort.

"That bad?" I didn't know much about the school newspaper but based on Elijah's expression, it wasn't good.

"Yeah, but it'll be okay; we'll get it all sorted out," Elijah stood, moving towards the closet, looking through the clothes his family selected for me, hmming softly at the shirts he liked. He was so close. His warmth was just a brush away.

"Not bad," Elijah said after he thoroughly went through the piece outfit, pulling away with a satisfied look. "Though, I think I would have found you something better." I smiled, rolling my eyes at him. I'm sure he would have but telling him that would definitely boost his ego, so I decided to refrain. I closed the closet, content with the idea of there finally being something inside it. It was no longer empty, and there was now evidence that I had been here. It wasn't much, but it didn't have to be.

"Want to watch a movie after dinner?" I asked, wanting to spend more time with him.

"Oh," He looked surprised for a second. "Not tonight, not with the dinner party, but we can totally watch one tomorrow!" I was immediately confused. Dinner party? It made sense that Elijah's family would have meetings like that; they were successful business people.

"So what time will you guys be back?" I asked out of curiosity, though the question seemed to confuse Elijah. Was asking what time they'd return that confusing of a question?

"What do you mean?" Elijah asked. I stared at him, starting to slowly feel confused as well. What did he mean, what did I mean?

"What time are you guys going to be back? 9? 10?" He stared at me for a couple of seconds before he started to laugh. I was taken aback at first before annoyance kicked in as he continued to laugh. What was he even laughing about?

"Oh, that's funny." He said after his laughing spill calmed down, wiping a stray tear from his eye. He sent a smile my way. "You're coming with us." I stared at him in shock. Why in the world would they take me with them? Elijah seemed to understand my confusion, resting one of his hands on my shoulder. "Get ready, okay? Something business causal." Elijah said with a soft smile, moving to stand. A part of me wanted to protest and ask him to stay, which was silly. I didn't say anything, though, and watched as he disappeared from the room to go and change clothes. I did the same, a hint of excitement getting drowned by anxiety and fear. Fear that something was going to go wrong, that I'd tarnish the Andrew's reputation by simply being with them.

I changed into one of the new outfits, almost immediately feeling like a different person. I felt sophisticated, like someone I wasn't, but I was willing to pretend for the Andrews sake.

It was the least I could do.

A/N: I've missed you guys! <3 Sorry for the extreme delay; the next update will NOT take as long as this one.