sly smile, wicked things

Beta Jace met us at the airstrip to accompany us to the pack. I can't focus on anything; I'm too nervous.

"How have you been, Ayla?" He asked, glancing in the rearview mirror at me.

"I'm good, thank you." I beamed, "how's Eli?" I questioned.

"He's ok. He's enjoying going to big school as he calls it," he chuckled. I giggled and nodded.

We continued the ride in silence. Leon was quiet; he was staring out of the window. He occasionally looked at me. I reached over and laid my hand in his. He joined our hands together and smiled at me. I breathed out and watched out of the window.

As we neared the pack, my heart started beating quickly. My breath caught in my throat, and I struggled to breathe. I could feel the bond with Ethan pushing its way into my system. Leon unbuckled his belt, moving closer to me.

"Ayla, look at me," he urged, holding my head to keep my gaze on him. "Breath, baby," he pleaded. I gasped for breath and clung to his shirt. "We shouldn't have come," I panicked.

"You can feel the bond, can't you?" He asked as hurt flared in his eyes.

I whimpered, nodding my head. "I don't want to, though," I whined.

He dragged in a sharp breath before leaning away from me. I clung to his shirt, forcing him to look at me. My eyes begged him to stay next to me.

He couldn't act like this; he knew this would happen. I have two mates... I'm going to feel the bond with Ethan even if I don't want to.

"I don't want Ethan, Leon," I muttered.

"No... But you've known him longer..." he hesitated, "when you see him, your wolf is going to want him... Not me." He whispered.

I could hear the anxiety and pain in his voice. I sucked in a breath as my bottom lip started trembling.

"Don't pull away from me," I choked.

"No, fuck, I'm sorry," he blurted as he hauled me into him, wrapping his arms tightly around me. "I'm just afraid of losing you." He murmured.

I drew in a quivery breath, "whatever you do, don't leave my side." I breathed. "All I want is your scent and touch," I whispered.

He placed a small kiss on my neck and sighed. "I'm not going anywhere." He promised.

He pulled away but stayed seated next to me. Beta Jace was eyeing me sceptically in the mirror, a slight smile on his face.

We pulled up outside of the gates, and I held my breath. A few warriors let us through, and we made our way onto our land.

"My house is on the other side; why are you heading to the packhouse?" I questioned.

"Alpha's orders. Your parents will be there too." He explained.

I nodded and focused my eyes on Leon. He looked uncomfortable and anxious. We pulled up outside the packhouse, and I held my breath, hoping Ethan wasn't there.

Alpha Miles and Luna Emily were stood side by side waiting for us. My parents and Owen were stood just behind them, their eyes darting everywhere until they saw our car. Ethan was nowhere to be seen, and I breathed out in relief.

I turned to Leon and offered him a small smile. He returned the gesture and squeezed my hand.

Beta Jace jumped out of the driver's seat and made his way to my door. The door opened, Beta Jace bent down and smiled at me. He leaned forward, smirking, "for what it's worth... I never thought Ethan deserved you." I smiled awkwardly and nodded.