Chapter Two

You are wandering through the palace halls, thinking smugly about how easy it was to break your way through the flimsy cell Baal had placed you in.

Seriously, and with there being no guards stationed near you as well? Does the Raiden Shogun really have that much trust in her abilities?

You pass by many doors, none of which have been left open. You are slightly disappointed at this, snooping around in the Electro Archons secret things sounds like a blast.

It is taking forever trying to find your way through this godsdamned building. You had never been a huge fan of studying architecture, but even you could admit the palace was stunning if not conventional. It would be easy to wax poetic about the way moonlight reflects off the waxed dark wood floors.

Being stuck here for a week already has you appreciating flooring. You have got to get out of here.

Your footsteps are trained and practically silent, you are sure no mere guard would notice you. But strangely, it seems there are none around at all.

Every corner you turn around you almost expect a whole parade of those bootlickers to show up... but the palace is eerily quiet. The Electro Archon sure was a strange one.

It takes a while before you find your way out, through a door leading to a courtyard. what sweet revenge it would be to mess up some of the ladies flowers in retaliation.

The smug smile on your face drops immediately when you open the door to the courtyard.

Stood there, in all of her godly glory, was Baal herself. She didn't turn to meet your gaze, as she was too busy admiring the moon. She stood there silently, her hair swishing lightly in the midnight breeze.

A painting, you think angrily. only a painting could look so perfect.

"I have underestimated you once again, it seems." Baal sighs, reaching down to caress what you notice to be a wilting flower.

You stood there, dumbfounded, as you watched a god fuss over a small flower. You cleared your throat awkwardly.

"They don't get enough sun in that spot." you whisper, looking off to the side. "Peonies require... around seven hours of sunlight to grow healthily."

Baal turns to you, and you cross your arms defensively, suddenly squeamish. Gardening advice! You are giving gardening advice to the god of eternity!

"I would recommend... over there," You point out a spot that likely wouldn't be covered by shadows. "That would—be a good place for them..."

Silence fills the courtyard, a light chill making you shiver. This is the most awkward moment of your life. This is worse than the time Ayaka caught you reading that romance novel.

Then suddenly, Baal herself, lets out a light laugh. Baal laughs at you.

"You hate me, yet you would give me such helpful advice?" Baal smiles. "You are a strange mortal."

Your face burns brightly. You were just reduced to a mere joke. This is the worst.

"Yeah well, i may hate you," You huff. "But I like peonies. I'm not gonna let you kill them because you're inexperienced."

"Your name." Baal says in response, stunning you.

"...Huh?"

"I never asked for your name." Baal clarifies. "What is it?"

"Do you need to know which name to put in the ransom note or something?"

Baal turns away, seemingly irked at the question. You almost want to snicker at her annoyance.

"Would you rather I force you to tell me?" She asks. "I only wish to know your name."

"y/n." You answer, glowering at the Archon. She is so obnoxious, holding her power over your head like that.

"Well then, y/n," Baal waves you over. "Please help me relocate these peonies. I do not wish for them to die."

You practically stomp over to Baal, your mind racing with the question, what is she getting at?