Chapter Ten

Minutes and hours faded into days, which then faded into a full week. A full week of trailing after Ei (gods, you were still getting used to calling her that), a full week of looking over mundane paperwork and having boring meetings with Ei's advisors, a full week of nothing.

Back when you had been working under Lady Kokomi, there was never a dull moment. There were always swords to sharpen, new soldiers to train, or even dinners to be had with important resistance leaders. You had friends and family around every corner, ready to dump any problem on you that they saw fit.

You remember hating it, but right now... you can't help but crave that normalcy.

However, you made your decision. There was no running away from this, no running away from the connections that you have made here.

Ei.

Even now, as you stand beside her whilst she meets with her advisors, you couldn't help but notice the sleekness of her braided hair. How did she keep it so damn neat? And the vacant state under her eyes... you had never seen the woman asleep, and yet the skin there is absent of eyebags or dark circles.

It had to have been an archon thing, because there was no way someone could look that unbothered without any divine intervention.

You watch her speak, yet you do not absorb a word of what she's saying. You're admiring the vibrant color of her eyes when your mind zeroes in on a particular word that escapes one of the advisor's mouths, festival.

"A festival?" You blurt, voice betraying some pretty obvious excitement.

The advisors look surprised by your outburst, but Ei only stares at you with a flat look on her face. You fidget a little bit, hands linking behind you sheepishly.

Your mind races, thoughts of the Kamisato clan assaulting your composure. The Yashiro Commission were the ones in charge of cultural affairs...

"Ah, yes... Lady y/n, we were just asking Her Majesty if she were interested in allowing a summer festival to take place in a few weeks time." The man, you think you remember to be named Matsuda, explains, obviously annoyed with your disrespect.

You don't miss the jab at your title, either.

"I do not believe it appropriate for a celebration to be taking place whilst this conflict plagues our lands," Ei says coldly, and even you flinch a bit at her tone. "It is foolish to focus on such mundane activities instead of the war at hand."

"Yes, well," Matsuda tries again, seemingly determined. "This does have to do with the war, Your Majesty. Morale is important to upkeep, no?"

"At the behest of our soldiers?"

"We have the means to undergo this festival without detriment to the war effort, Your Majesty, and besides—the resistance have been quiet for weeks now."

Ei looks very irradiated, that godly face of hers twisted into a frown. "That only serves to prove how hard they will hit when they return."

Matsuda looks undeterred. "If they return."

There's a lull in the debate, and Ei's dull eyes shift to you, watching as you startle at her sudden recognition. You straighten your posture out of habit, meeting the woman's eyes with ease.

"And what do you think of this situation, y/n?" Ei asks, that cold look still present on her face. "Would a celebration truly help us?"

You feel put on the spot, and you allow yourself to mull over this question. But sadly, no matter what the logical choice is, you can't help your personal bias from getting the best of you.