After

Day 474

"Lets go" 

I didn't realize how much blood I had all over me. My entire foot and leg was bloody from stepping on the nail and my hands and part of my neck was covered in blood from the birth. I had wrapped my foot up but I knew the infection was coming. Marcus hands me a towel from the bathroom and I quickly wipe myself down. The towel is soaked in bloody as I hang it once again. I also make a quick stop to Marcus and I's bedroom and grab my medical book. I turn to the table of contents. 

Treatment of broken bones pg 71

Treatment of open wounds pg. 84

How to birth a child naturally pg 91

How to give a Caesarean section pg 106

I quickly turn to page 84 and begin to read. 

Stop the bleeding: Using a clean cloth or bandage, gently apply pressure to the wound to promote blood clotting. Clean the wound: Use clean water and a saline solution to flush away any debris or bacteria. ... Alcohol is a strong cleaner Treat the wound with antibiotics: After cleaning the wound, apply a thin layer of antibiotic ointment to prevent infectionIf the wound is big you need to be quick and stop the bleeding and pour alcohol or another cleaning solution to make sure of no infection.

I unwrapped my foot and looked at the wound. It was deep and looked like the nail had almost gone straight through my toe had it been a little bigger. I quickly take some water and put it onto the wound making sure to clean it. The water made it all sting and I quickly flinched but continued on. I walk out of the bathroom and walk outside. The whole family seems to be in a state of shock. The barn is on fire and Evelyn tells us to wait and walks into the barn. Regan then signs "I'm going back in wait here" I nod and Marcus gives her a frightened look. 

"You okay" I sign to him. Lee had only passed last night and I was worried for Marcus. "I'm okay" he signs back and then hands me the gun. I hold it and make sure the safety is on. When my father died it was extremely hard to grieve in this day and age. You can't cry because the things might hear you and you also don't have enough time to be able to grieve it's a continued cycle of cry wipe the tears away and then run. 

"Remember when we had to present our how to projects for class?" I ask. Marcus covers his mouth laughing remembering the memory. "That Mrs. Wilk was such a bitch making me stay in for recess for swearing" I say and Marcus Laughs and signs "You did say the S word" and I now laugh. 

Flashback

"Ladies and Gentleman Marcus and I present to you how to make a Shirley Temple" I yell clapping my hands together and lay the two cups out. "First you need to fill up the cup with ice" Marcus starts and fills the cup up with ice. The whole class watches as he scoops the ice into the cup. "Next pour the pop into the cup as much as you like" I say and start to pour the pop. 

The whole two liter then falls and explodes onto the floor and all over the walls and carpet. "Shit" I scream and pick up the pop. "August do not use that language in this classroom!" Mrs. Wilk yells and I give her a dirty look. "How about you not give us shitty projects that make no sense" I yell back. "Do I need to take away recess time?" she says meanwhile the whole class watches my every move. "I dare you" I say and Mrs. Wilk looks pissed. "No recess for the rest of the week and I'm calling home." she says and I roll my eyes once again.

I stayed inside for recess for the whole week. Mrs. Wilk let me do extra credit for the project. I made sure to ask because I didn't want Marcus to get a bad grade on the project. We ended up getting a B on the project. 

End of flashback

"I thought that was the end of the world but look at us now" I sign and Marcus smiles. "We still got each other though" Marcus says swinging his arm around my shoulder. 

Time moves slowly when you can't speak. I never realized how much time is taken up by talking. My family and Marcus's use to have conversations for hours. My mom and Evelyn would talk about the other woman in the neiborhood while cooking dinner. My father and Lee would talk for hours while swigging their beers they would talk about sports and how much they are betting on the sports teams this week. 

It just occurred to me that August is the same name as the kid from Wonder and I Noah Jupe is in that movie... Oh Well know I didn't do that on purpose. I hope you are enjoying the story so far.