thirteen

“No, actually, I don't know…the whole thing about parallel universe existence is pretty strange. Would you imagine interactions with other "you"  in another universe who might or might not think or look like you?”

Jeno sighed. “You come out of the exam hall and the first thing you decide to talk about is this?” he asked while they walked towards the parking lot.

“What's there to talk about? You know how it went and I know how yours went. What's the point of putting it in a conversation? We are always good at this, Jeno-ya.” he said, nudging Jeno's shoulder.

“God I hate your optimism sometimes.”

“Consider yourself lucky… maybe I'm pessimistic and fake in the parallel universe…” Jaemin replied. Jeno shook his head but took a second to think about it. “Ugh, this whole thing drives me crazy…” Jaemin added.

“That's exactly what you're doing to me.”

“Driving you crazy? With love?”

“Hell no.”

Suddenly Jaemin turned to him, “Oh…what if we are enemies in the parallel universe?”

“There are infinite possibilities, honey.”

“Sure.”

Infinite possibilities. Jeno thought. He hoped he and Jiya would at least make a peaceful friendship in the parallel universe. His attention was back to Jaemin who seemed more energetic than usual.

“Do I look too energetic today?” he asked. That immediately brought a smile to Jeno's lips and he nodded. “Well, guess what? We're done with exams and it's vacation. And Christmas is just a week away. And I'm finally meeting your parents. After a whole year! Remember last year? We all met, my parents came over and it was-” before he went on Jeno closed his mouth with his hand.

“I remember everything,” he said. “I don't think we need a parallel universe to be enemies.”

Jaemin laughed, taking Jeno's hand off his lips and intertwining it with his. “Yeah. But then again I would find a way to make you love me”

Jeno frowned. “Are you high? You seem… extra weird today.”

Jaemin shrugged. At that point, Jeno was completely tired. Mostly by everything. Mostly by everything going on in his head. Exams were tiring. Not because of the subjects but because of the person he chose to study with. He should've taken it seriously when Jiya started working in the same store. Now she was aware of everything he did in a day and she would arrive at his house and insisted on studying or going for a walk.

“Nope. Looking forward to the holidays.” Jaemin said, which gained Jeno's attention. “By the way, what do you want for Christmas? Do you plan on reading anything? Brontë? Austen? Poetry? Comics-”

“Some peace of mind,” Jeno interrupted.

Jaemin's shoulders dropped. “Do you want me to leave you alone?”

“H-huh? N-no! I- it's not about you… I'm sorry-” Jeno tried to pull himself together. He let out a sigh. “I'm sorry… I'm tired,” he said, placing his head on Jaemin's shoulder.

“Don't worry… I'll make sure to distract you from what's bothering you,” Jaemin said.

Jeno let out a chuckle. “Sure.”

“You wanna talk about it?”

Jeno exhaled. “Yeah...but I don't want to ruin your Christmas fun. It's not that deep anyway.”