Chapter four

Layla

Emerging from the dark depths of the forest, the bright light of day beams through the middle of two skyscrapers which blinds me. Squinting and holding my hand up to block the sun and allow my eyes to adjust, I soon focus on three civilians ahead of me. However, that judgement is swiftly changed from witnessing their swift and precise movement. No civilian can move like that. It's the Guardian angels. What timing this is! I usually have to hunt for ages to find them since they fight very efficiently and move to the next threat as soon as possible but they are right in front of me, fighting a group of Mavlins near the large three-tiered, marbled fountain.

Mavlins are annoying and persistent robots. With horned heads and wires weaved throughout their bodies, they are one of the easiest enemies the Guardians fight, just sadly not the last. Mavlins are very determined to destroy buildings and anything in their path. They swarm the city, flowing out of purple portals that materialize randomly and dissipate just as quick but its when Fighters show up in the city that things are stepped up. While their name is simple, it outlines perfectly what they do. Attacks from Fighters are rare but when they occur an exclusion zone is set up and all buildings within and nearest to the zone are evacuated to protect civilians. Then there is Adicus. An enemy who has hundreds of books that document his misdeeds. He has never been seen in Lakeintown but his lack of presence is outweighed by being the mastermind behind all of the attacks on the city.   

The clash and chime of metal from the swords wielded by the Guardians echo around. Since they are still fighting Mavlins, I take this as my chance to sit and rest my back against a tree instead of scaling it to gain a vantage point. I'm not doing that again.

I plan my drawing on a loose bit of paper tucked in my sketchbook. I focus on one Guardian, beginning to sketch the shape of their armour while looking up occasionally to gauge a new perspective. When I look up for the third time, there are only two Mavlins left. The Guardians are making quick work of these robotic foes. 

By being this close to them I'm able to learn more about them. Each of the Guardians has a watch on their wrist and their armour isn't as bulky as what I drew it like before, it is rather slim and figure-hugging to their bodies. 

Out of the three Guardians, one of them takes on both Mavlins, luring them away from the fountain and even somewhat goading them into fighting back, which the Mavlins do the instant the Guardian mocks them. This Guardian continues to joke around by pushing and dodging every attack the Mavlins make until one is successful and the Guardian is knocked back a couple of steps. This causes another Guardian to come over and punch the stomach of one Mavlin and quickly turns to react to the oncoming attack from the other Mavlin which they have anticipated. They swiftly grab the Mavlins hand thrown towards them and pull on it, which brings the horned robot closer to them, therefore allowing an opening to disable them which they do by kneeing directly into their lower half. This causes it to keel over and fall to the ground. The Guardian who was joking prior slices their sword across the body of the remaining Mavlin which causes sparks until they both suddenly disintegrate into spherical particles that evaporate into the air. The threat has gone. The Guardians mission to protect Lakeintown is complete.

I've been so engrossed in what is unfolding before me that I have dropped my pencil and creased a bit of the paper. Damn. While flattening my paper, the Guardians regroup near the fountain. I lock onto the Guardian nearest to me because they look like they are talking into their watch. I frown puzzled because a person talking into their watch isn't something seen every day nor is it a normal action to do any other, but the Guardian then points in different directions and the other two split up, each heading to where was pointed. I guess the threat isn't over. Something else is going on but the odd watch-talking Guardian doesn't move. Surely, they would have set off to eliminate the posed threat by now. Why aren't they moving? 

The Guardian places their hands on either side of their helmet and takes it off. Their short dark hair bounces as they begin to pace side to side with their back facing me.

I best leave. I pick up my pencil, fold the drawing and rise slowly to peek at where the Guardian is but when I see his face I duck down instantly. Shit. He's now looking in my direction. Did he see me? The thought comes unnerving from the back of my mind and I find myself sinking into the overgrowth further as a result. What am I going to do? I am stuck. 

Observing him from afar makes me more at ease as I realise he could never have seen me from this far out but that doesn't add to the chance of success if I leave now. I'm glued to this spot until another better opportunity to leave comes up. It's a waiting game. 

The Guardian has his wrist with the watch held up and he's tapping on it with his other hand. What is he doing? He suddenly moves forward, closer to me and the trees. Every nerve of mine is on guard to make a break for it but I hold on.

He stops, to my relief but he still has his wrist up. My curiosity peaks and I creep up onto my knees. He doesn't look to be talking into his watch this time but instead, he is moving his arm sideways, very slowly, like he is scanning the area, in my direction, but I don't think he can see me, well I hope he cannot see me.

I've got to go now. The more I stay here, the higher the chance is of being discovered. My time here has been fortunate because I'm sitting behind a thick green bush with pink flowers which acts as my camouflage since I am also wearing pink but this cannot last.

I peek once again just to see if the Guardian is still there and he is, closer I might add so I focus my thoughts and plan my next movements. 

Slow and careful. 

I turn and make a move to stand but the sticks underneath my feet snap at the slightest of my movements. Shit.

     "Hello?" I freeze at the sound of his firm voice. "Anyone there?" I watch him turn around. 

This is my opportunity to leave so I take it and begin moving at a snail's rate, not wanting to cause any more noise to make him further aware that I am here. I get on one of my knees and push up from it, using the tree behind me as support.

Now upright, I look ahead for the whereabouts of the Guardian when blue eyes meet my gaze. The Guardian is now facing me. Shit. With a glint in his eye, he gasps and steps back from the sight of me but I don't stay to know what he's thinking nor give him the time to say something as I run away, my legs fly up off the ground as I sprint back to my shack.