Chapter sixty-six

Layla

Maylock kneels beside me and my heartbeat slows from his presence. My sight also clears and focuses on his face which further calms me. His lip is slightly split at the side and he has another graze on his forehead. 

     "Maylock?" I exhale heavily and run my hands down my face. 

The tree I punched has a massive bare patch now and there is a visible dent at the side. 

     "Oh my god" I bring my knees up towards me and hug my hands around them – needing some comfort for what just happened. 

I lost control. 

     "Here" Maylock hands me a large blanket and I wrap it around me to keep warm as shreds of my top and trousers are laid on the floor. 

I am thankful for the cover this blanket gives me but as my gaze skips along each piece of clothing, it rises to meet the eyes of Abbey, Zack and Jordan whom are standing and returning their gaze to me. They all look shocked. Jordan's eyes are bright and wide while Zack is looking at Baymin with a narrow gaze of disappointment and scrutiny. 

     "Well, isn't this something" Abbey announces. "Not only is the monster a werewolf but our very own little Guardian angel" 

     "Yes thank you Abbey for that obvious observation" Maylock snaps and gives her a heated glare which causes her to walk away and up the stairs to Miscellania. She tries to get Zack to follow her but she is unsuccessful. Zack ignores her attempts and walks closer towards me. 

     "I tried to get back here. Really, I did but things got in the way. There was a Mavlin that stopped me. It was different" 

     "Different how?" Zack speaks up intrigued. "Was there black fluid flowing through the Mavlins cables?" I nod. "More armour and usual weaknesses didn't work?" I keep agreeing. "You came across a hybrid. They are more aggressive and stronger than normal Mavlins" 

     "I soon realised that" 

     "Can we get back to focusing on you." Baymin firms. "Zack, Jordan can you leave us?" he asks and Zack walks away, grabbing Jordan on his retreat and they distance themselves from us. "I mean leave the area" Baymin's tone hardens. "Now" Zack brings his arm around Jordan's shoulders as they both head up to Miscellania. "What did you see when you were attacked by Trixala" Baymin asks but I don't want to recall it. "Layla, I know I'm not your most liked person at the moment but you have to tell me" 

     "You got that right. That's the only bit of truth you have ever told me without obstruction or avoidance" I roll my eyes. 

     "But can you answer me?" 

     "You want me to tell you something because you asked? Oh how ironic. What shall I do about it? I could lie, deceive or just ignore you. I think I'm going to do just that" 

     "That's foolish" he remarks. 

     "Did someone say something?" I look past Baymin who huffs. 

     "Layla, can you please be sensible" he's sincere with his ask but I'm sceptical. "This is important. You know that Trixala puts you in a fantasy world so nothing that you saw is real nor will ever become factual" 

     "But it's already come true" I nonchalantly reply. 

     "What?" Both Baymin and Maylock look at me bewildered. 

     "The first time I got effected by Trixala, part of it actually happened" I tell Maylock. 

     "What was it?" Baymin tries to sway my attention over to him but I keep my gaze on Maylock.