Chapter fifty-two

Layla

As we walk up the steps inside, I glance at the console with the hologram of the moon. The dark clouds have dispersed, making the full moon gleaming white and bold. Baymin looks at it too and I can suddenly hear his heartbeat quicken. Wait, it's mine. My heartbeat has quickened.

     "Come on!" Baymin insists, frantic.

My legs are like jelly so I just sway into him. He brings one of my arms round his shoulder for further support and leads me to the wall with the circle lock furthest from the console.

     "When it is a full moon, you need to come to this wall and press the top button" He grabs my arm and presses the top button on my angel. He also pushes and twists it to deactivate my armour.

The wall slides open, creating an opening that he walks me through. I don't see anything for definite as it's a very dark room but Baymin keeps on taking me in further into the unknown.

The unusual heavy feeling rises within me and slowly builds. It's a constant pulse and it's not stopping. With every second that passes, the sensation grows and I shout out from this discomfort. 

Baymin carries on leading me into the room until I hit something with my foot. The sound of metal chimes together and I hit it again, whatever it is but Baymin leaves my side making me have to stay strong in myself to keep standing up and stable.

     "Baymin?" I wonder where he went as I can't see him anywhere. The only light I have is the little that is emitted from the doorway as there are no windows in this room.

I hear a heavy drag across the floor in front of me and the sound of metallic clangs and clicking. I could almost think that I am hearing the clank and rattle of chains but then my assumptions are put into true reality as Baymin comes in sight of me, with exactly them in his hands. 

     "You are not chaining me!" I back away from him, seeing his intention a mile off.

     "Layla, I have too" in the dim light, I see him go toward me which makes me immediately feel threatened once more because of it.

The hairs on the back of my neck prickle and I seem to somehow know what he is going to do as I manage to swipe his hand with the chain away before he can even touch me. 

The chain clatters to the floor but I don't stop. A sparking surge ignites a fury within and my entire body is swamped with this pure power. Strength floods my veins and I grab him by the neck with my other hand and slam him back into the nearest wall.  

     "Layla!" he coughs and my eyes blur. 

I want to increase my grip.

     "Layla!" a voice strains and my eyes clear.

Baymin is struggling against my grasp and I release my hold on him from that sight.

     "Baymin!" My voice I wanted to hurt Baymin!

Each breath of mine is harsh and fast as my vision blurs again. The pressure of the deep feeling is so much but there is no release. It's stifling. I can't take much more of this. I'm drifting, swaying as a result of the pain and constricting force. Every one of my limbs are tingling and my fingertips are throbbing.

     "I will need to chain you" I hear Baymin just as I feel each of my hands being bound by something cold. 

The chains are on me. 

They are loose so I can move my arms but I don't know how much slack there is left to cater for me to do anything else as I can't even see where the source of the chains come from. 

     "These should keep you in place" Baymin's voice echoes as everything around me becomes a permanent fuzz of shapes and emptiness. I cannot see him anymore.

     "Baymin, I don't want this." Anxiety is swarming my heated body. 

All of my known reality is being broken into pieces and moulded into an entire new shape. One with curves lined with anxiety and edges laced with unknown. I was bitten by a werewolf and I could be facing a transition – a transformation into a monster. 

No. 

I pull on the chains and they rattle with revolt and restriction. 

     "You need to save your energy Layla" Baymin's silhouette is straight ahead of me and I know that he's at the doorway but I cannot leave or move because of the chains. 

     "Baymin, don't leave me!" Tears build as my only source of light is slowly closing, making the end become dark, this room become dark and whatever I am going to go through become dark. "No!" 

I pull again in desperation to get free but the chains will not break. 

     "Baymin!" I beg exasperated "Baymin!" my voice grows hoarse.

I pull on the chains once more but have to stop from a sudden sharp pain in my back. I scream out loud as it's cracking. 

My spine is cracking? 

This movement forces me to curl my body upward to try to cater and soothe this sudden pain and extreme movement of bone. I flex my arms causing the chains to grow taut and I fall to my hands and knees. The pain in my back simmers but it's charred with an ache that keeps throbbing. 

Through my pounding heart and heavy breaths, I go to stand but don't move. My legs are pinned to the floor. I keep trying to get up but it's as if something is holding me down and I cannot overthrow it to pull myself upward. My arms and legs are cemented in place, making me stuck on all fours.

The heavy feeling is smothering me. I'm suffocating as it continues to gain in intensity and consume every inch of me.

Horrific. 

The epicentre of it all starts in my stomach and its resonating, as if I am being witness to a literal earthquake within my body. This is just too much. So many waves of pressure hit me and overlap, climbing higher and higher as every limb of mine to the end of my fingertip's singes with fire because there is just no release. 

I am not succeeding. 

I am not even close in achieving victory over this bizarre sensation as it keeps on going. 

Never stopping. 

Wave after wave scorches every part of me. 

     "Baymin!" I screech, my voice high pitched from the excruciating pain. "No, no!" I wail as the pressure within me reaches its limit and it explodes. 

My right leg suddenly dips and cracks. My left leg does the same. Gasping breaths and sweat entwine as I yell from this abnormal shifting and I can't do anything to stop it. When a low growl rumbles around the room, I feel a change in my eyes and the ache in my mouth ruptures at the same time. 

     "Baymin!" I find myself snarling at his name and I break the chain loops around my hands.