Chapter forty-nine

Layla

The hologram of Lakeintown has been condensed into 2D form on the screen of the console and Maylock is looking at it. I walk over to him. 

     "Nice observation of Jordan's last characteristic by the way" he suddenly mentions. 

     "You know?" I question suspicious as Maylock was not in the training room. 

     "Yeah, we have CCTV in all the main rooms and entrances where necessary" he explains.

     "Oh, okay" so there's CCTV in Miscellania as well as the city. "How could Jordan not see how fast he was going?" 

     "He needed to realise his potential. Sounds cheesy I know but he was blind to what he was doing until you opened his eyes" he states when the loud alarm sounds, warning us that the city is under attack "Let's go!" his tone of voice changes to a firm command. 

Zack and Jordan quickly go into the chutes while Abbey leaves the training room and darts into a chute too. All three of them press their angels and zoom upward in a bright beam of light. 

Maylock hangs back, waiting for me to get into a chute, as he most likely thinks that I'll be making a run for it but that idea hasn't even crossed my mind. I didn't think of leaving. 

     "Maylock, I am not going to leave, I have all the time in the world to get what I know you are holding back out of you." 

     "There isn't anything Layla. I have told you all we know" he claims but I roll my eyes. 

     "Keep telling yourself that" I approach the chute, ignoring my anxiety from the prospect of flying again because I need to stay determined for answers and the only way I am going to stick with Maylock is up. 

     "Layla" I turn at Baymin's call. He comes out from the medical room "You can stay here" 

     "What?" I'm baffled and Maylock even frowns from what he said. 

     "Stay here for this fight" Baymin continues to suggest but this gives me an idea. 

If I play this well, I can use this to my advantage. 

     "If I stay, are you going to tell me more?" I lock eyes with the stubborn man but he doesn't sway his gaze from me. 

     "No. There's nothing else to say Layla but I just want to keep you out of Lakeintown for this alert" he pleads, his eyes have a glassy warning to them – a desperation of sorts but I'm not staying here. I'll be alone, bored and frustrated. 

     "Is this you trying to protect me from this unknown danger?" I flex my fingers to act like air quotes. 

     "There's nothing fake about the danger surrounding you" he dismisses and a second alarm sounds which causes the domes on the wall to glow and flash with red light. 

     "We have to go. Baymin, I'll have Layla's back. I'll make sure of it" he offers but Baymin is unamused. 

     "I know you will. But it won't be enough" 

Won't be enough for what? 

Baymin is so cryptic. 

     "What's that supposed to mean?" 

     "I'm just worried" he confesses. 

     "You're worried?" I glance at Maylock who is studying Baymin. His brow creases in thought as he crosses his arms. 

     "It's too risky. Layla should stay in Miscellania." His tone is hard with urgency and aimed only at Maylock even though the person he is talking about is in the same room. "Layla needs too" 

     "Layla is still here by the way" I wave sarcastically. "and Layla is leaving" I quickly head into the white beam chute. 

     "I got her Baymin" Maylock nods and joins the chute besides me. 

He rakes one hand through his curly hair as I prepare myself to fly. Baymin observes as I stretch each of my fingers and scrunch them into fists. Inhaling and exhaling deeply as I twist my head which causes my neck to click and a relieving sensation floods down my spine. All this pent up stress for what? I have never had the need to click my or even crack my knuckles but Baymin suddenly wanting to stop me from going to Lakeintown has put tension on my body – an anxious weight which pulls on every nerve. 

Glancing at Maylock, I don't waste any more time and I press my angel to zoom upwards as Baymin's study of me continues until I leave his sight.