Chapter sixty-eight

Layla

Maylock suddenly throws the blue disc on the ground with some force behind it and the disc explodes into a blue mist from the contact of the ground. This mist rises and begins to swirl clockwise until the middle darkens and the outside whirls around in light blue wisps.

     "Now where was this portal technology when I had to fly in the sky? I would have taken these over wings any day" I mention, planting my hands on my hips. 

     "We hardly ever use this tech anymore" Maylock replies. "We only use it in emergencies. It's from the ancient Guardians so it's a bit unpredictable so there's a rule we follow when using this" 

     "A rule?" 

     "There's a chance of displacement when we go through it. So, the rule is that we have to go through holding a part of each other so we are one" 

     "Oh" I mutter and look into the portal void. Dark blues swirl and mix in a current and go lighter the closer they reach the edge. 

I'm fiddling with my sleeves, tucking my arms into them to curl and protect myself as what Maylock suggested repeats in my mind. 

Touch. I hate it. 

     "Is there any other way?" I cross my arms and rub them to warm me and keep me coiled from this possibility. 

     "Not unless you want to lose an arm" he adds sarcastically but his comic expression drops at the instant he sees my non reaction to it. "Okay, I'm sorry" he looks at me and holds out his hand. "Are you ready?" 

     "For what?" I frown as he hovers his hand in front of me but I recoil even more. 

My crossed arms are now so tight around my stomach that I'm a ball of uncomfortable vulnerability. 

     "Do we just walk through the portal?" I walk away from him. 

     "Layla" he calls but I ignore him. 

     "What's it going to be like?" I ask to distract myself from the sight of his hand and the thought of holding it. 

     "Layla" Maylock calls again, sounding displeased which causes me more distress. "Come here" 

     "No" 

     "Turn around you weirdo" 

     "I think we established that you're the weirdo" I turn around but stop as he's bent down on one knee with his palm facing upwards and his fingers spread out. "Maylock what are you doing?" 

     "Layla Taylor." His voice is bold. 

Oh my word what is he doing? 

     "I made a promise to you that there will be no distractions, no interruptions or any other crap and I strive to complete it. So, pinky promise?" he encloses all of his fingers apart from his pinky finger. 

I stifle a laugh. 

     "A literal pinky promise" I let my smile out and he mirrors it with a teethy grin. That sight makes me release my tight protected hold over myself and walk toward him. 

     "Is this okay?" his eyes are large in wariness and I soften my tense approach even more. 

     "It's okay" I bring my pinky finger near his and after a small pause, I entwine my finger with his. His smile broadens as he gets up from his knees to stand. 

     "Ready?" he asks, our fingers are tightly locked with one another, securing the bond for us to go through the portal and solidifying the promise he made to me. "It'll be seconds passing through and we will suddenly be in the city"