Chapter forty-six

Layla

Footsteps come down the stairs. Whoever it is probably heard the destruction. It's Maylock which is no surprise. He meets my eye, but then looks down at the desecrated wooden pieces which lay on the floor.

"Jesus Christ Layla, what's with you and doors!" he smirks. "I would say good morning, but good afternoon will have to suffice since someone likes their lie ins" his smirk broadens as he arches an eyebrow while crossing his arms.

     "What's with you and locking the door?" I snap back. My voice cuts his expression in half as he frowns.

     "What? I didn't lock your door" 

     "Oh so Baymin must have then. Those metal gates have something to do with it" I consider.

     "Layla, no they don't. We didn't lock your door" he stays adamant.

     "I did" I turn to the unknown voice. 

A young man walks down the stairs. His youthful face and defined cheekbones are the first things I see. His naturally tanned skin complements his green eyes and short blonde hair. A small dark mole marks his chin. He's younger than Maylock. Even younger than me. 

     "Jordan why did you do that?" Maylock scolds. "Go back and continue training. We'll meet you up there" at his instruction, Jordan walks back up the stairs.

     "So, who's Jordan?" 

     "Jordan is our newest recruit." Maylock answers simply.

     "Another Guardian?" I frown. "He's a bit young? So, you just recruit anybody at any time? Any age I'm guessing too" I roll my eyes. "He's a child"

     "Not anyone and we have limits in age. He's sixteen. Baymin ran the trials for him and he passed" his tone is still so easy going but it highlights what I didn't do.

     "You never ran any trials for me. Zack also had trials" I recall.

"You were different" he responds glancing away which gets my back up.

     "How was I different?" I argue.

     "There were circumstances" he doesn't make eye contact with me which makes the hairs on the back of my neck prickle in anger.

     "Circumstances!" I raise my voice.

     "Yes" he answers curt and it irks me even more.

     "I can't even go and find my own dad who you knew was alive and didn't even tell me! Don't you think that should have been the circumstance focussed on?" I use his own words to make a point. "You worked out who I was but waited days to give me that letter and those gates were put down stopping me from finding him"

     "We don't even know where he is" he dismisses me.

     "But I can find him"

     "I don't doubt that you probably could" he nods.

     "You also track the woods so you can help me find him"

     "Zack disabled the technology to sort the frequencies" he states, making that opportunity go to waste and I expel my disappointment in way of a huff "and what makes you think he is in the woods anyway. He could be anywhere" he makes a point. I wouldn't even know where to start.

     "Why didn't you tell me about my dad before? Did you know him?" I ask but get nothing in response. "You did, didn't you?" he remains silent. "What was he like?" I keep pressing, wanting him to at least answer something.