Voicemails

"Hey, this is Spider-Man! Leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!" Yuri lets the phone drop from her ear, cutting off the voicemail before it could repeat again.

It had been one week since he disappeared, leaving nothing but the sunshiny voicemail in his absence.

The phone beeped quietly, indicating that she was supposed to leave the message now. She hung up. He wasn't here to hear the messages. if he was still here at all. Everyone tried to keep up hope at first, but it was quickly replaced with whispers no one wanted to say aloud. But most of them agreed.

Spider-man was probably dead.

Following his most recent escapade, he had fallen off the map, leaving no trace of his existence beyond some angry, locked-up criminals, and news reports questioning his whereabouts.

The police had grown desperate as the leftover prisoners from Ryker's flooded the streets, interrogating Doc Ock about the last known sighting.

It was useless. by the time police had found the round, balding man, Spider-Man was nowhere to be found.

Ock refused to be interrogated by anyone other than Spider-Man, adamant that he was alive, and that they had unfinished business.

The police didn't believe him for long.

Everyone tried to cling to hope since there was nobody at the scene. at the very least, His injuries weren't too major to escape at first.

But the lack of contact spelled out something gravely wrong. Spider-man was always talking to people. He always picked up the phone or responded to voicemails.

Yuri huffed out a breath of air, slouching forward to rest her head in her hands. She gazed at the pile of crisp paper shoved together on her desk, corners poking out like they were clawing their way away from the rest, clamoring for attention.

"You alright Yuri?" A voice next to her inquired. She turned to the questioner, nodding. The woman shook her head knowingly. "He'll be back, I'm sure of it. He always comes back swinging eventually."

As one of the biggest Spider-Man fans the police precinct had to offer, Terri refused to give up hope that the Web-Slinger is still around. Yuri often admired her optimism, and her viewpoint on Spider-Man made Terri one of her closest friends on the force, but she couldn't agree with her.

"I'm going to the roof. I need a break from this crap." Yuri announces, trying to stop the conversation before she had to think about him anymore. Terri chuckled, returning her attention to the paperwork on her desk.

The stairway to the roof smells like cleaning spray, as if the chemicals had stuck to the cold handrails. Yuri walked faster to the top, hating the way the smell itched her nose.

The door squeaks slightly as it opens, gliding just above the rough concrete of the building's roof. a stark contrast to the clean, bare atmosphere of the stairwell, the roof gives a view of the bustling, smoggy city surrounding it, lit by the glimmering lights from countless windows.

A lone pigeon flies past the roof, and Yuri's gaze follows it as it flees towards its destination, passing a dimly illuminated surveillance tower, into the city nearby.

The surveillance towers cost a fortune to implement and would have ended up worthless if it weren't for Spider-Man. Yuri feels a smile tug at the side of her lips as she remembers Spider-Cop. Just another memory to add to the pile. She sighs.

"Where did you go?"