Building Bridges

Fuck.

Holy fuck, Peter was screwed.

Yuri was definitely onto him; try as he did to avoid eye contact for the rest of their haul, he caught her eyes, narrowed in suspicion at things he didn't even realize were abnormal.

He'd screwed up big time with the boxes. It was honestly dumber, in hindsight, for him to have pretended they were heavy after she'd already pointed out how easy it was for him to lift them.

But he'd panicked, okay?

And now he way paying for it. Would it be bad to ask Gloria to schedule him and Yuri apart on purpose? He didn't want to make it seem like he disliked Yuri, but it'd be worse if she found out it was him, and then they ended up really disliking each other.

Would it be so bad to come clean now?

Yuri stares as he drops a larger box onto the table, eyes flicking between him and the packed box with a frown.

Yes, it definitely would. He remembers the way she'd stared at him on the helicopter, like the world had shifted from one revelation. Like she had just realized he was real.

Spider-Man was not supposed to be real. That was the whole point— to be someone else for a little bit.

Someone better, stronger, more capable, and confident. Someone who could save people.

Peter Parker did not save people; at least, not when he started.

And even if those roles did get crossed from time to time, his point still stood: Spider-Man was larger-than-life. He was loud and fearless, and he gave people hope.

Yuri didn't look hopeful right now. She looked distrustful and irritated.

He absolutely could not tell her.

But, Standing in the corner of F.E.A.S.T with the last box from the truck, watching the crowd bustle around her, she looked lonely, too.

Maybe— maybe— they could be friends. For real this time. Not just partners-in-crime-fighting. If she'll let him.

"I can take that if you want," Peter blurts out, gesturing at the box.

"It's not heavy."

"Of course not! I just," He flails inelegantly. "I like being helpful."

Yuri glances at him. "You work at a homeless shelter. You obviously like helping people."

"Oh." He frowns. "Is that a no, then?"

"I'll carry the box, you clear the way."

"Deal!" He took a step in front of her, turning on his heel to beam at her. This wasn't so bad.

They meandered down the hallway, as Peter tried for some stifled conversation. Maybe F.E.A.S.T could invest in some cue cards. He can't be the only one who needs them.

"So, do you have any pets?"

"No."

"Oh, me neither." Yuri looks at him like he's grown a third head.

His Spider-Sense bubbles on the back of his neck. He steps back toward Yuri robotically, just out of Gloria's path as she marches down the hall toward an older man with a graying beard, shouting about smoking near the beds. She didn't even see him in front of her. Spider-Sense always comes in handy.

"How did you know she was behind you?" Never mind, then: always was a strong word.

"Oh! Um," His cheeks burn, flaming under his skin as his mouth goes dry. "I... heard her?"

Yuri looks less convinced than the time a mugger— whom they'd caught both on camera and red-handed— tried to persuade her that someone had framed him and that the silver necklace in his bag was a family heirloom.

Maybe he should try to make a break for it, too. Hell, he has enhanced speed; he might actually be able to get real distance between them before Yuri sold the whole hand in the cookie jar act and took off after him.

Gloria would probably miss him if he went on a run from the NYPD. Miles too.

He clears his throat, pointedly not looking at the way Yuri glances between him and the space Gloria had passed through. "To the kitchen we go?"

"Fine," Yuri replies dully.

Maybe it was a no on the friend thing, then.

Oh well. Best-acquaintances-ever it is.  

<><><><>

"I've been calling you for an hour." Leaning against the railing lining the roof of the police station, Yuri scowls at him. "Have you been ignoring me?"

"No!" He rushed out. "I was working."

"Uh-huh."

"It's been a very long day."

"Yep."

"I didn't even realize I'd missed any calls til just before I left."

"Whatever you say, Spider-Man."

"I don't think you're being very fair right now."

Yuri glowers at him. "Murad checked out the lead from Octavius. It's legit. Multiple demons were spotted loitering around an old shipyard."

"I'll check it out."

"I figured." Yuri doesn't look at him, opting to chew at a loose fingernail, glaring down a crack in the concrete.

"Are you going to be like this all day?"

"Are you?" She shoots back. Yeah, maybe that question didn't come off as concerned friendly-ish sort-of coworker as it'd been intended.

Fix it.

He sighs. "Yuri, I am sorry. I shouldn't have stormed off the way I did." Her shoulders loosen, a little. Her eyes flick toward his mask, snapping away when her head tilts up enough to see her expression.

She looks upset. Genuinely upset, not just the tough-as-nails cop upset that tends to rule over her features.

Peter didn't mean to hurt her feelings. He's made one mistake after another today, hasn't he?

"You were trying to be friendly, and I snapped at you. I won't do it again," He promises.

The breath Yuri takes sounds shaky, and something sinks in his gut. She was really upset.

"You better not," She forces out.

"Pinky promise." He brandishes his pinky in her direction, wiggling it when Yuri raises an eyebrow at him.

"How old are you?"

"You're never too old to make promises." Huffing, Yuri hooks her pinky around his.

"Pinky promise."

He squeals, holding his hands over his chest theatrically. "Yuri!"

"Don't start."