Small Favors

"Yuri, could you do me a favor?"

Dropping her fork on the rim of her plate, Yuri glances at her mother. She'd almost died during Devil's Breath, and it must have been an awakening because she's been pushing to get Yuri to spend more time with her all week.

Before that, they were pretty estranged, only really seeing each other for holidays. It was just hard being in the same room as her mother when Yuri's entire existence is the opposite of what she wanted for her child.

She prayed for a sweet, attentive daughter who would settle down and marry and have a heap of children she could spoil rotten, and instead, she got a perpetually single, emotionally removed cop. She's never been quiet about how Yuri was different than she'd hoped for.

Still, sometimes it is nice to help her.

"What is it, Momma?"

"I'm getting older." Oh boy, here we go. "I can't quite move around the city like I used to."

"And?"

"An old friend of mine was running a shelter just before Devil's Breath started." Leaning back in her chair, Yuri's mom adjusts her glasses. "She died trying to get medical care to the residents. The shelter's very short-staffed now, and very overcrowded. They need help."

Yuri frowns. "I don't do charity work."

"Come on Yuri, won't you give it a try?" Grasping Yuri's hand, she stares at her, a pleading expression swimming through her eyes. "It could be good for you. May had this nephew—"

"Momma."

Her mom rolls her eyes. "Not like that. He is too young for you. But he's a very good kid... he could use some guidance."

"You're guilt-tripping me."

Rubbing a finger across her knuckles, Momma smirks. "It's working, isn't it?"

"Fine. I'll go there once."

Straightening in her chair, Momma claps her hands.

"Once."

"I won't hold you to that."