Heavy Lifting

Both sides of the mirror are silent. As Spider-Man pushes his chair out, making his way toward the door, Yuri and Murad exchange a glance, lips drawn into a tight line.

Spider-Man had watched a man die; not just any man, either, but a family member.

Jon Murad is not supposed to know that about Spider-Man. Hell, Yuri isn't supposed to know that about Spider-Man. He is going to be so upset.

Spider-Man pushes open the door to the surveillance room, glancing at Octavius through the one-way mirror.

He's sitting at the table in the center rigidly, as if there's a yardstick glued to his back, staring at the door Spider-Man just walked out of with narrowed eyes.

Spider-Man himself is shaking— from rage or something else, Yuri isn't sure.

Murad stares at Spider-Man, a bit bug-eyed. He glances between the mirror and the man standing by the doorway, then back again, like all of the pieces will suddenly fall into place if he replays the scene enough times.

Spider-Man clears his throat. "I think I broke your table."

"I noticed," Murad says. 

"Sorry." He scrunches up his shoulders, staring a hole through the wall too far to the left of Murad to be misconstrued as eye contact.

Chief Murad cracks a smile, going to clap Spider-Man on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it. We'll get it popped back into place, no problem." Spider-Man stares at the offending hand with shoulders pressed to his ears, squirming.

Murad picks up quickly, pulling his hand back to his side. "I owe you one. But, I think maybe that's a conversation that would be best saved for another time?"

Spider-Man just nods, still clenched like he's bracing for impact.

"We'll reach out," Murad assures, striding toward the door. "I'll see both of you soon."

"It was nice to meet you," Spider-Man chokes out, following him out the door.

"Goodbye Spider-Man, goodbye captain."

The door clicks shut behind them, leaving them in the sterile hallway, monotonous tiles stretching toward the exit.

"There's a helicopter waiting for us," Yuri informs. "You don't have to find your own way back into the city."

Spider-Man nods tersely, keeping his eyes trained on the metal door at the end of the hallway.

They walk the rest of the way in silence; before, it would have been strange to go more than a few seconds without Spider-Man jumping in with a comment or a quip. Yuri thought he was afraid of silence.

If he had been, she couldn't blame him right now. Without words to brush away the tension thrumming in the air, it sinks into Yuri's bones, stirring unpleasantly in her gut.

Spider-Man won't even look at her.

She waves at the pilot stiffly, hopping the gap between the landing pad and the floor of the helicopter. Unwinding the cords, she pulls two headsets off the wall, settling in a seat and handing one off to Spider-Man.

She rubs a thumb over the plastic band. Once it goes on, the mic will pick up anything she says, broadcasting to Spider-Man and the pilot. She can't bring up anything that happened in there without including someone else— which Spider-Man probably wouldn't appreciate.

It's now or never.

"I'm sorry," Yuri whispers.

"It's fine." Spider-Man grinds the words out, visibly trembling in his seat. "You couldn't have known that was gonna happen."