Incoming Call

Buzz. Buzz.

The vibration echoes into the dark room, and Yuri blinks the grogginess out of her eyes. Who is calling this late at night?

📞
Incoming Call: Spider-man 🕸

Accept | Decline

Shooting out of bed, she lunges for the phone.

"Spider-man?"

"Yes! Actually no... This is Yuri Watanabe, right?" The voice that answers is high and much calmer than expected. Yuri narrow her eyes.

"Yeah— and you are?" She asks.

"Oh! right! I'm a friend of Spider-man. It's nice to meet you." Yuri snorts.

"Sure. Why are you calling?" The woman chuckles.

"Just making sure you don't think he's dead. He would've done it himself, but he thinks you're going to be mad because he ghosted you.

I thought he was being ridiculous, but now that I've spent some time talking to you, I totally understand." The line goes quiet, crackling with static.

"Also he sounds like he swallowed a cheese grater." A small 'hey' sounds from the other side of the phone in a hoarse voice. "Well, you do!"

Yuri breathes a sigh of relief. "So he's okay?"

"He's living and breathing and not severely injured, yes." She responds slowly.

"That was incredibly specific."

That wasn't good. If she was anything like her friend, a response worded that way usually had an underlying message. She had made it clear that he wasn't hurt physically, but she never said he was okay.

"Now, unless you would like to yell at him or something, I will let you leave to go back to bed." Yuri sighs.

"You're missing the point. Where has your friend been?" Static crackles through the phone once more, the other line completely silent.

"Hello?"

"I don't think it's my place to say."

"Okay. Is he coming back?" Yuri questions.

"Sooner rather than later. I can't give you an exact date." You can almost hear the mischievous grin when she adds, "He might be able to though."

"What?"

"Oh, Spidey!" She shouts, dragging out his name. "Come say hi to your friend!" rustling erupts on the other end of the line, air whooshing past in what Yuri assumes is an anticlimactic chase around the house before everything goes quiet.

"...Hi." His voice is raspy, and he sounds exhausted, but it's definitely Spider-man.

"Hi."

"Sorry if I scared you." He says.

"It's alright. I'm just glad you're okay," Yuri assures. "When are you coming back?"

"Why, you miss me?" He chuckles, the noise sounding more like a cough than a laugh.

"We need to get back to work." He sighs.

"Always right down to business." He says. "I'm not sure exactly when. But soon. I promise."

She nods, before realizing he can't see her. "Okay, I'll hold you to that." Yawning, she looks over at her alarm clock. 3:48 AM. "Now if you'll excuse me, you guys have interrupted my sleep."

A strangled laugh sounds from the phone. "Alright, good night Yuri."

The line clicks as the phone goes dark, leaving nothing but the moon to illuminate the silent room. Yuri's eyes droop shut as she smiles.

She can't wait to tell Terri.