CHAPTER 1

3 Years Later

"You okay, kid?" Clint called out, as he fired another handful of arrows.

"Never been better." I responded.

As I spoke, I blasted a ball of light from my palm, knocking down the approaching soldiers. The Hydra base we were gradually advancing on was guarded far heavier than any we had raided in the past months. In my ear, I heard Steve scold Tony for his less than polite choice of words.

"Jarvis, what's the view from upstairs?" Steve asked.

"The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is far beyond any other Hydra base we've taken." Answered the AI.

Thor landed beside me, knocking out the soldiers approaching me from behind.

"Loki's scepter must be here. Strucker couldn't mount this defense without it." He said. "At long last." He added under his breath.

I swung a stream of light and knocked the gun out of a soldier's hand before a kick to the chest took them down.

"'At long last' is lasting a little long, boys." Natasha called out.

"Yeah, I think we lost the element of surprise." I responded, blasting out more balls of light.

"Wait a second," Tony began. "No one else is going to deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language'?"

"I know." Steve replied, a slight tone of embarrassment in his voice. "It just slipped out."

"I'm all for teaching Stark some manners." I said with a laugh.

"Pipe down, Madden." Retorted Tony.

"Looks like we've got a long way to go." Natasha chimed in, earning another laugh from me.

All of a sudden, a blur of blue and silver shot past me too quick to make out. Whipping around, I swung out a stream of light in the figures direction and sent them tumbling to the ground.

"Guys we have an enhanced in the field, keep an eye out." I reported.

"I have a name you know." The enhanced man said, rising from the ground.

"Maybe when we're not in the middle of a battle, you can tell me."

Forming a ball of light between my hands, I fired it out and hit the man square in the chest. The force of the blast knocked him back against a tree. Leaving the man gasping for his breath, I returned my attention to the quickly approaching soldiers.

It seemed no matter how many of Strucker's men we took down, there was always more. Pushing through the aching of my body, I formed a stream of light between my hands. I sent it out like a whip, knocking down a row of soldiers.

"Clint's hit!" Cried Natasha.

I whipped my head around, searching for where Clint and Natasha could be. Suddenly, a blow to the stomach knocked me to the ground.

"Pietro." The silver-haired man said, smirking down at me.

Before I had the chance to reply, Pietro sped off once more. In my ear, I could hear the others discussing the plan of action. I felt helpless; laying flat on my back gasping for breath. The thundering of footsteps drew closer and I knew another wave of soldiers were coming.

"A little help." I managed to say.

Moments later, Thor came to my aid for the second time that day. Landing in front of me, he sent out a charge of lighting that wiped out the approaching soldiers. Now momentarily in the clear, he stretched out a hand and helped me to my feet. Steve came running over, joining Thor and I.

"Clint's hit pretty bad," Reported Natasha. "We're gonna need evac."

"I can get Barton to the jet. The sooner we're gone, the better." Replied Thor. He turned his head to Steve before speaking again. "You and Stark secure the scepter."

"Copy that." Steve responded. "Take Madden with you."

I shook my head, still partially struggling to catch my breath.

"I'm fine."

"No, you're not. Go with Thor." Steve ordered.

I opened my mouth to argue with the captain before Thor spoke.

"It looks like they're lining up." He said, referring to the line of soldiers who were approaching with a HYDRA tank.

"Well they're excited." Replied Steve.

In one swift movement, Steve brought me behind him before Thor struck his hammer against Cap's shield; the force of which knocked down the incoming soldiers.

"Find the scepter." Thor reminded Steve.

With that, Thor grabbed me and flew off.

~*~

"How you feeling?" I asked Clint, who lay on a table in the Quinjet.

"As good as someone who just got shot can." He replied, letting out a small chuckle before wincing slightly. "How about you?"

"I'm fine." I reassured him.

"Thor, report on the Hulk?" I heard Natasha ask.

"The gates of Hel are filled with the screams of his victims!" He reported cheerfully.

Banner hung his head in his hands and Nat shot a glare at Thor.

"Uh, but not the screams of the dead, of course." He quickly corrected himself. "No no, uh... wounded screams, mainly whimpering, a great deal of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and, and uh... and gout." Rambled Thor.

"Nice save." I mouthed to him.

"Thank you." He mouthed back.

Leaving Jarvis to pilot the jet, Tony joined me, Steve and Thor.

"It feels good, yeah?" Tony asked, looking at the scepter. "I mean, you've been after this thing since SHIELD collapsed. Not that I haven't enjoyed our little raiding parties, but...." He trailed off.

"No, but this... this brings it to a close." Thor replied.

"As soon as we find out what else this has been used for." I said.

"Not just weapons." Steve added. "Since when is Strucker capable of human enhancement?"

"Madden, Banner and I'll give it the once over before it goes back to Asgard. Is that cool with you?" Tony asked Thor.

Thor gave a nod in response and Tony continued. "I mean, just a few days until the farewell party. You're staying, right?"

"Yes, yes, of course. A victory should be honoured with revels." Thor replied heartily.

"Yeah, who doesn't love revels? Captain?" Tony looked at Steve for his response.

"Hopefully, this puts an end to the Chitauri and HYDRA. So, yes, revels." The Captain replied.

"How about you, short stuff?" Tony asked me.

"Couldn't keep me away." I said with a smile.