CHAPTER 10

Nat and I sped down the road, winding in and out of the cars. Ahead of us, we spotted Cap's shield laying discarded on the road.

"I'm always picking up after you boys." Nat remarked.

As we drew closer, Nat leaned down and picked up the shield in one swift movement. She secured it onto the front of the bike.

"They're heading under the overpass, I've got no shot." Clint said.

"Which way?" Asked Nat.

"Hard right." Clint began, before pausing for a moment. "Now."

Natasha turned the bike sharply down a side street, causing people to gasp as they jumped out of the way. We twisted and turned down various alleyways before coming out onto the road beside Ultron's truck. Skillfully, Natasha maneuvered the bike to drift beneath the truck, coming out on the other side. She threw the shield up to Steve, which he caught and instantly thrust it into Ultron's side.

"Thanks for the ride." I said to Nat.

She moved closer to the truck and I took the opportunity to jump onto the bonnet. Climbing on top, I sent a ball of light directly at Ultron. In retaliation, he turned to shoot me. Steve jumped in front, rebounding the blast from his shield.

"Thanks." I said.

Together, we fought to hold him off as he sent out shot after shot. Then, stretching out both of his fists, Ultron sent out a charge that sent both Steve and I flying backwards. Steve reached out and grabbed me as I headed towards the road and pulled me onto the roof of a car with him. Ultron raised a hand and a mound came up in the road in front of us. The car began to roll. Steve kept one arm firmly on me as we jumped off. The moment we landed on the ground, we sprinted to avoid the car moments away from crushing us. In one swift movement, Steve jumped onto the bottom of an overturned car heading towards us, taking me with him. From there, we waited a moment until we were close enough to join Ultron on the top of the truck once more.

The moment Steve landed, he ducked to avoid a punch from Ultron.

"Come on!" He yelled.

Steve used his shield to block the incoming shots whilst I sent out balls of light at the robot. Just then, the Quinjet began to fire at Ultron from behind us; Steve and I ducked down to avoid fire. Two of Ultron's robots from inside the truck flew off to attack the Quinjet. The truck continued to barrel down the road and Steve managed to throw Ultron into a nearby pillar. He didn't stay down for long, however, as moments later he came flying back directly at me. At the last second, Steve grabbed him. Ultron kept his hold on me and the three of us fell off the truck and through the side of a passing train.

"They're heading back towards you." I heard Clint tell Nat. "So whatever you're gonna do, do it now."

I blasted a ball of light at the robot, knocking Ultron back a few paces. I quickly joined Steve and he flung his shield at him. Ultron raised his arm and deflected the shield, sending it straight back into Steve's hand. He flew straight at us and I jumped out of the way just in time. My victory was short lived, as moments later he sent out a blast that knocked me and Steve to the floor.

"I'm going in." Nat replied. "Cap, 'Phelia, can you guys keep him occupied?"

"What do you think we've been doing?" Steve asked, panting.

Rising from the floor, Steve was instantly met with a punch from Ultron. I got up and sent a ball of light at him from the side. He turned around and sent a punch directly towards my face. Seconds before contact, a blur of blue and silver knocked Ultron out of the way and grabbed me by the waist in one swift movement. While I attempted to stop my head from spinning from the sudden speed, two metal railings contorted in front of us, barring us from Ultron. He turned his attention to Wanda Maximoff, who stood at the other end of the bus.

"It's good to see you again, sunshine." Pietro said from beside me, the corner of his mouth turned up in a smirk. "And you're welcome, by the way, for saving your life."

"Thank you." I said, breathing heavily. "It's good to see you too."

"Please, don't do this." Ultron said to Wanda.

"What choice do we have?" She replied.

Ultron whipped around and sent a blast straight at the barrier, yet it rebounded and went crashing through the front of the train instead. Ultron blasted a hole in the side and flew out.

"We lost him!" Cap called out, running to the front of the train. "He's headed your way!" He told Clint.

"Cap, you seen Nat?" Clint asked.

"If you have the package, get it to Stark!" Steve instructed, clearly not hearing what Clint had said. "Go!"

The driver had been knocked out by the blast, causing the train to burst through the barrier at the end of the track. Steve turned to face Pietro.

"Civilians in our path." He said.

Without another word, Pietro sped off.

"You think you could stop this thing?" He asked Wanda.

We hurtled down the streets and into parked cars as Pietro got everyone out of the way. Steve held up his shield, taking the brunt of the hit as we went crashing through a brick wall. Wanda began to move her hands and red wisps went out into the bottom of the train. With great straining, she brought the train to a screeching stop. I panted heavily, leaning against the back of a seat.

The train began to empty and I joined Steve as he made his way off. He headed straight to where Wanda had her hand on Pietro's shoulder as he leaned over, catching his breath.

"I'm fine." Pietro told Wanda, sitting down. "I just need to take a minute."

"I'm very tempted not to give you one." Steve said, stopping in front of them.

I stood beside Steve, resting my hand on my hip as the pain from the fight finally caught up with me. I caught Pietro's eyes and gave him a small smile.

"Thank you." I mouthed to him.

He smiled in return and nodded his head.

"The cradle. Did you get it?" Wanda asked.

"Stark will take care of it."

Wanda's eyes widened slightly at Steve's words. "No, he won't." She said, shaking her head.

"You don't know what you're talking about. Stark's not crazy." Steve told her.

"He will do anything to make things right."

"Stark? Are you there?" I asked. "Talk to me, Tony."

"Stark? Come in." Added Steve. "Anyone on comms?"

"Ultron can't tell the difference between saving the world and destroying it." Wanda began. "Where do you think he gets that?"