CHAPTER 19

"I'm just saying, no one would blame you for wanting to spend extra time with- ouch!" A sharp jab to the ribs prevented me from finishing my sentence.

Natasha glared at me from the corner of her eye. I let out a chuckle and raised my hands to my chest in surrender.

"Hey, my lips are sealed." I added.

As we continued down the corridor, I noticed Vision leaving Wanda's room. I called over to him, sure that Natasha is grateful for the diversion of my attention.

"How is she?" I asked.

Vision turned to face us, his demeanour heavy.

"She's..." He began, looking in the direction of the room he'd just left. "Steve's talking to her now."

I nodded. The crushing weight of guilt returned to my chest. I knew how Wanda must be feeling. The same way I had been feeling this past year. All I wanted was to take away a fraction of her pain. Yet, what pained  me most was knowing how powerless I was to do so. I couldn't take away her pain the same way no one could take away mine.

"Is... Tony back yet?"

I felt another pang in my chest. The mention of his name brings to mind our conversation when we last met.

"He's just arrived." Vision answered.

I gave him a nod in thanks, which he returned before continuing on his way. I turned my head to Nat.

"I'm gonna go see him. See if I can... straighten things out."

I took a deep breath, running a hand through my hair. As much as I was dreading our conversation, I knew it was inevitable. I'd rather clear the air between us sooner rather than later, not willing to let things fester with time.

"Want me to join you? For moral support?" Nat asked.

She nudged me with her shoulder, causing a small smile to grow on my lips.

"Thanks, Nat." I said, not quite meeting her eyes. "I can handle him, though. Plus... it's better I do this by myself."

Nat nodded and placed a hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. As much as I'd be grateful for the friendly face at my side, I knew Tony would be reluctant to speak about what happened in front of her. I'd have to have this conversation alone.

~*~

I found Tony in the foyer, speaking with Secretary Ross. As I neared them, Tony spots me yet doesn't make any move to beckon me over. Noticing the diversion of Tony's attention, Ross turned to face me with his hands in his pocket.

"Madden." He greeted with a nod of his head.

"Secretary Ross," I replied with a nod of my own. "Could I borrow Tony for a moment?"

He gestured a hand to Tony. "Be my guest."

Without a word, Tony followed me until we were out of ear shot from Ross. Even then, he stood silently with his arms crossed over his chest.

"So, are we gonna talk about what happened at M.I.T or not?" I asked.

I mirrored his body language, arms coming to cross over my chest. He refused to meet my eyes when he spoke.

"I'm surprised you want to talk to me at all, Madden."

"Why? Because you left me stranded in Massachuchets? Or, how you made a fool of me in to middle of the lobby? I'll admit, bad move on your part, Stark. But, I'm not about to throw everything away because of it."