Chapter 6

I was pulled from my reverie as the biggest vampire snarled: "She should find her creator and ask him. It is their responsibility."

That was exactly the reason I found myself here, so I deadpanned: "I don't think he is still alive. I searched for him, or ... her, I don't exactly know who made me this."

"Then she should be destroyed. As the law says." The brown skinned man looked smug as he said it and panic rose like bile.

"What?" I shrieked. "No, I haven't done anything. I haven't hurt anyone. I've never killed a human in my life."

I turned back to the one that seemed to want to help me, but he was suddenly very near me, his hand covering my mouth and his lips near my ear. I held my breath, but my nose involuntarily smelled his delicious scent. It almost made me close my eyes.

"Shh, we won't kill you when there is no cause."

I moved my head up and down, trying frantically to nod and silently promise not to shout again. His face stayed close to mine for a few seconds more and I could feel him inhale my scent. Then he slowly let me go.

"We will take you to the ancients, they will decide your fate", he murmured.

I exhaled and allowed him to take my arm and guide me the rest of the way. The shortest of the two guards remained behind, while the one whose name was Felix, followed us.

They took me deeper and deeper into the town, until we came by a square with a large fountain. Under the clock tower was a locked door, but my guide opened it and ushered me through. Inside, it was dark. Light enough for my vampire eyes to see, but humans would be lost in here. At top speed, he then pulled me through a network of tunnels until it almost made me loose my way and finally we halted in front of two enormous doors.

I was curious, now I finally had the time to study my surroundings. On the inside the building looked like a castle, with dark wooden panels and heavy metal studs. The corridor alone provided me enough to distract me from what awaited me. There were arches and statues, paintings with large gilded frames and tapestries on the floor with intricate paterns. I almost missed the knock and the 'come in' that followed.

When the doors opened, my mind reeled. The room was enormous, a big round glass ceiling, convincing me I had to be in the largest tower I had spotted on top of the hill. It was beautiful, but since I was never much bothered by architecture before, it couldn't hold my interest very long.

Especially when my eyes fell upon a group of people gathered round a table in one corner of the room. The table was full of books and my eyes lit up. See, I had come to the right place.

All the men and women in the room wore the same dark cloaks, as if old age made you reject color. That they were old, I didn't have to guess. Even my inexperienced eyes saw the thin, papery skin and red eyes covered with a milky film that made me think they were blind.

"Demetri, what have you brought us today?"

I was startled upon hearing the raspy voice, almost too soft to be heard without vampire ears. My guide released me, which, strangely, left me feeling bereft. Demetri was his name. It sounded Greek, I liked it.

"We found her walking outside, she claims to be looking for the Volturi, in order to learn."

Claims? What's with this 'claims'? I was speaking the truth. I threw a sneer in his direction, but he was staring straight ahead. Composed and guarded and extremely taut all of a sudden, one hand behind his back. All appearance of charm and ease was gone. It made me weary.

The one who had spoken, now moved towards me and it was as if he was flowing. The cloak hid his feet, but his movement was so fluent I had to concentrate to keep my eyes at his face and not stare at the black cloth that hardly moved.

"She is not a Cullen?"

"She claims she isn't"

Again with the claims.

I opened my mouth, ready to speak for myself, but was interrupted by the strange eyes, that now focused on me. What was it again, that Edward had said about the powers of this coven? Mind reading was one of them. I really hoped it wasn't going to be like with him. Peeping Tom.

"Will you give me your hand?"

My hand? Did he want to shake it? I shrugged and extended it.

The ancient one took my hand and held it as if he was caressing my skin. I repressed a shudder. He closed his eyes and hummed.

"I see, quite remarkable", he whispered after a few seconds, peaking at me beneath black eyelashes.

Suddenly Carlisle's warning about one named Aro resounded in my mind and I shouted: "Stop that, let go!"

The old man released me with a slight jolt and took a small step back while I continued, more than a little annoyed: "What is it with you people, reading minds without any concern for privacy. You could just ask me anything you want to know. I have no secrets."

Only then I realized the room had gone completely silent. Even more so than before. No breaths and no heartbeats, but this time also no rustling of fabric or paper.

"Interesting", the old vampire finally said, with a stronger voice this time.

What was interesting? I furrowed my brow.

Without a word, he took Demetri's hand in his. He repeated the process of closing his eyes and concentrating, and fascinated besides feeling rather perturbed, I saw how my guide allowed it without as much as a twitch.

There was an odd kind of smile on the old mans face when he opened his eyes, and this time, Demetri did react. Just the tiniest movement in his lips, showing only a fraction of unease. And then it was gone. He didn't look at me and I wondered what it was that had made the ancient vampire grin.

"Ariadne, I would love to hear more of your time in the woods, all by yourself. But as you see, we are kind of busy. Demetri will show you to the library and help you with whatever it is you need."

Because I was still looking at Demetri, when the old one, whom I now for certain knew to be Aro, due to his mind reading, spoke, I could see the surprise in the young mans face as Aro mentioned my name. And his eyes widened even more after hearing his commission.

He didn't object however and merely consented with a nod.

A little confused, I mumbled: "Thank you", and followed Demetri when he left the room.

We didn't speak as he guided me through an other series of passages. This time at a slower pace. My mind was still reeling from all the impressions. The location, the vampires, the strange direction the conversation had gone in.

What exactly had Aro meant by instructing Demetri to assist me? Merely to point me to where the library was and what not to touch? Or was it more than that? It had sounded like more to me.

It had already become very clear that everybody in the room absolutely obeyed this ancient vampire without question. I had felt the power and the certainty with which Aro wielded it.