Chapter 36

Demetri took me hunting. Our adventure had bereft us of a lot of energy and we needed new strength.

"Can I leave you?" he asked me, after he'd watched me take down a large brown bear.

"Yes", I answered, looking around me. He would not feed in the area, but I knew he would make haste to return to me.

When he left, a short flash of panic took me by surprise and I hurried back to our house. It would probably take me some time to be completely rid of the consequences of seeing so much violence. I really didn't want to get used to it, but I also didn't want to be reminded of it every time something startled me.

I walked over to a mirror. Perhaps I could make myself forget.

I stared at myself for a really long time.

The front gate opened and closed, the door followed and all of a sudden I was wrapped up in a strong embrace again.

"I might try that animal thing next time. Being away from you caused more trouble than human blood is worth", Demetri growled near my ear, before pressing his lips against my neck.

A fond smile turned up the corners of my mouth. I doubted he actually would, but I understood his predicament.

"What are you doing?" he asked, eyeing me curiously, after taking his fill.

"I was wondering if I should make myself forget everything."

He frowned, but didn't immediately responded.

"When you left ..." I swallowed a lump, "the panic rose so quickly. I don't want to feel that way all the time."

"You won't", he promised, burying his nose in my hair again. "The frenzy will pass, in time you will even forget."

"How much time?" I asked, my breath hitching.

"Faster, if you replace the memories with pleasant ones." His grin appeared in the mirror next to my face and I bit my lip.

He was right. If I made myself forget, I would also loose the things I'd learned. How much I loved Demetri, how much I needed to live every precious moment with him.

---

Alice turned out to be correct. After a while, the urge to stay together like pieces of Velcro lessened. The troubling images I had witnessed moved to the back of my mind, slowly fading.

During the daytime we stayed in the house. Enjoying the quiet, loitering, and doing other stuff. When the sun went down we usually sought our way to the manor.

As promised, Demetri taught me how to fight. Most of the times Nick was there too, helping me as sparring partner, allowing Demetri to walk around us, putting my hands and feet in the right position, distracting me terribly when he did. After a while Felix joined him, giving me pointers, goading me with friendly sneers, until I told him to shut up.

Word had gotten around about this new vampire Aro had drafted. The one with the ability to control someone's mind. The one who had singlehandedly ended the last vampires of the old Romanian coven. No matter how true the rumors were, it was enough to keep everyone on their best behavior.

I knew it couldn't last, but I would take whatever leisure time we got.

After a few weeks, Demetri surprised me with plane tickets to Australia. We took our time traveling the world, visiting all the places that had once been on my bucket list.

My new life made it possible to add so many more locations. We stood on the very tip of the world, swam down the Mariana Trench until even our eyes couldn't see anymore and climbed the highest mountain to the point where no human ever walked.

Time slowed down after a few decades. It didn't matter anymore what year it was. I began to enjoy following courses, learning new languages and things like Math.

From time to time Demetri was sent on a mission and I would go with him. He tracked, I commanded, it got to be almost routine. Yet I never became bored with my life.

Every time Demetri held me close, it felt like the first time. He could still make me shiver, whispering in my ear, sneaking up on me in the library. I loved how he remained the same classy gentleman I fell in love with even before I knew of our bond.

No matter how many years we presumably had, seconds lasted so much longer and they held so much more worth, now that I had someone to spend them with. They would never be enough.

Time was a funny thing indeed.

The end

---
Did you like the story? Check out my original novel: Paper Walker ^^